Putting a used Experimental back in the air

34 posts in this topic

Posted

The last month I've been going over every inch of the Avid I bought and wanted to share what I've found to date. I was told by two different people that this plane would easily be back flying after a week of work. 

History: The plane was built and flew for 58 hours before the engine burned up. The engine was rebuilt and installed back on the plane. Most of the work was done to install the engine. The owner became ill and eventually died. A family friend purchased the plane with plans of learning to fly it but nevery did. The plane sat in his garage for another 6 years. That's where I found it.

So far the engine had been full of little supprise's. There was no fuel left in the plane so I figured the carbs were in good shape....wrong!  Joey recommend I pull the air screw and when I did in found bad orings. I tore the carbs apart for a rebuild and found other issues. The needles were installed on top of the cups in both carbs. Although they looked clean they were pretty dirty inside. As I was working on the carbs I started seeing other things that needed done. Exhaust springs changed, fuel and primer lines needed replaced and rerouted, water hoses replaced, radiator fluid changed, wiring cleaned up, instument panel hardware changed (to brass) and gear box checked. 

I really believed this plane was close to flying. Im sure there are turn key planes out there but this was not one of those. It pays to take the time and make sure everything is right. I will post pictures to this thread of what I have found so far in hopes it helps someone else buying a so called ready to fly airplane.

Vance

Posted

That's what mine was supposed to be when I got it . It did run and had a annual but I still took a couple months doing repairs and changing things a little. 

Posted

Carb cable adusters worn out. I've rebuilt a few Bings and never seen the adjusters worn out the sides.

2017-07-08 16.28.16.jpg

Posted

Someone used a plastic tee in the small radiator return line and it was cracked.

2017-07-08 16.29.24.jpg

Posted

You need a expansion tank like I made instead of that set up. Mine holds extra coolant with all the ports needed for a 582 

20170629_212001.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

It looks good. Did you make it? Where will it mount?

1 person likes this

Posted

Apparently just pushing them in a little bit is ok.

2017-07-08 16.30.08.jpg

Posted

I drained a little water out of the radiator while removing the front tube to the head that didn't need installed on an inverted engine. The water came out clear but turned to this overnight. I drained the rest of the water out and flushed the system.

2017-07-08 23.33.35.jpg

Posted

When I pulled the thermostat housing off there was no thermostat and this crud was laying behind the housing. It was like white calcium chalky crud. 

2017-07-08 23.34.23.jpg

Posted

Watching this thread with great interest. I am doing the same thing with a Kitfox 1, mine was supposedly airworthy last year. Finding a lot of the same kinds of crap you are. Mike

Posted (edited)

It looks good. Did you make it? Where will it mount?

It was for something else and I made it into what it is now . I had to cut and close a couple ports relocate another and added a return to the water pump. I am mounting it on my firewall . I can make one for anyone that wants one if there was ever a need . 

Edited by chopndrag
1 person likes this

Posted

getting to know every inch of your new plane is not really a bad thing.  Some things may not bug one person that will bug you (wiring not perfectly run etc).  The crap in the engine would really bug me.  Having ports plugged off can create hot spots and thats not a good thing.  I would be very tempted to pull the head and blow all the passages out to make sure they are not filled and plugged. 

Bigger expansion tank??  grams make ounces, ounces make pounds.  Adding weight to the front of the plane is not a great idea unless you add lead to the tail.  If the plane is nose heavy you will not be impressed with the way it flys.  Relocating the tank means making longer hose runs as well.. it all adds up. 

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

getting to know every inch of your new plane is not really a bad thing.  Some things may not bug one person that will bug you (wiring not perfectly run etc).  The crap in the engine would really bug me.  Having ports plugged off can create hot spots and thats not a good thing.  I would be very tempted to pull the head and blow all the passages out to make sure they are not filled and plugged. 

Bigger expansion tank??  grams make ounces, ounces make pounds.  Adding weight to the front of the plane is not a great idea unless you add lead to the tail.  If the plane is nose heavy you will not be impressed with the way it flys.  Relocating the tank means making longer hose runs as well.. it all adds up

Well since I got rid of that gallon oil injection tank and the heavy steel cheek radiators I have a few pounds to spare . My hoses aren't any longer then what was in there with the cheek radiators and my radiator now is aluminum. 

Posted

I always liked the cheek radiator set up from an installation prospective but it seems from listening to others and from what I've read they are not the greatest at cooling these engines. Is there another radiator (like aluminum) or a set up that would work better without a total re-design or moving the radiator under the plane?

This engine has already been overhauled because of heating issues or so I was told. The engine didn't appear to set up properly either. 

Posted

I had zero cooling issues with my cheek radiators. Only reason I changed to aluminum was they wouldn't fit in the new nose . My radiator is what 912 uses.

Posted

I'm sorry I was confused Chopndrag. Mine are the Mark IV dual radiator type. Pic attached. 

I'm no radiator guy by no means but these look dated. Would love to hear from people running the Mark IV style.

2017-07-09 21.45.48.jpg

Posted

I have to get into the builders manual but this looks wrong and the safety wiring needs redone....bad.

2017-07-09 21.44.38.jpg

Posted

That's what I had and they worked great for me.

Posted (edited)

Never saw any turnbuckles on any Avids or Kitfoxes  before.  I believe the plans show double straps of steel with several holes in them for adjusting the height of the rudder pedals.  The Avids   had the straps at the rudder pedals, the Kitfoxes were back by the rudder.  JImChuk

PS  I looked in my manual, and would scan and post the drawing showing what I was referring to, but I'm having problems with my PC that has the printer hooked to it.  Look at drawing # F-8 in section 2, chapter 4 of the builder's manual

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Yes the straps are shown in the manual, but the turn buckle should not be an issue, they are used on primary flight controls on many planes much larger and faster than our avids.

I had cooling issue on hot days with my avid using the cheek radiators until I made some ducting for them out of sheet rubber that seals them up around the cowling.  Now it cools just fine.

1 person likes this

Posted

Bigger expansion tank??  grams make ounces, ounces make pounds.  Adding weight to the front of the plane is not a great idea unless you add lead to the tail.  If the plane is nose heavy you will not be impressed with the way it flys.  Relocating the tank means making longer hose runs as well.. it all adds up

Well since I got rid of that gallon oil injection tank and the heavy steel cheek radiators I have a few pounds to spare . My hoses aren't any longer then what was in there with the cheek radiators and my radiator now is aluminum. 

ok, but lets say that one is to keep the radiators they have then add the expansion tank... thats what I was referring to.  Hell I don't know, I've only got a few hours in my avid..

Posted

You're right Leni, turnbuckles aren't bad, I just meant that they aren't the way Avid did it.  No problem safety wiring the straps either for that mater.  I'm sure the straps are way cheaper than a couple of new turnbuckles if one is doing it from scratch.  JImChuk

PS  I'm on my lap top, so don't have many pictures available, but did find this one showing the straps at the rudder pedals.

11-28-12 flight 007 (Large).jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Could someone post pictures of how they have the Mark IV radiators sealed against the cowl? This is a must do since this engine has already had cooling issues.

Posted

If you look at the last picture I posted, you will see some foam that was glued around the radiator to seal it to the cowl.  That plane had no cooling issues.  I think the foam did the trick.  Here is another picture plus one more showing the rudder cable straps.  JImChuk

11-28-12 flight 009 (Large).jpg

11-28-12 flight 021 (Large).jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Thank you. That's very helpful.