Modified thermostat housing

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Look at this gem. Homemade and smoothed out on the inside with JB weld. Does the GH run a thermostat? I'm not sure this one has a provision for one. 

2017-07-11 12.24.36.png

Posted

2017-07-11 12.25.59.jpg

Posted (edited)

I fitted one to mine and have a quick warm up and steady as a rock temps,I would strongly reccomend  fitting one ,drill a small  bleed hole to keep some flow and prevent "gulping"during warmup.

also is it possible to fit a standard housing with a 90 degree radiator hose as that one looks very suspect

Edited by Dusty
1 person likes this

Posted

You really do want to run a thermostat, especially in cooler weather.  Otherwise it's easier to cold seize your engine.  Take a look at the link here, off hand I can't remember if the face of the factory outlet is flat like yours, and the entire gasket and thermostat fit into the groove in the engine.  JImChuk

https://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/rtxpages/582ulcylinderintake1carb.php

Posted

Good thread.  Can anyone show me what the hose outlet looks like on thier Mark IV? Straight/ 90 degree? Does anyone know if a 583 housing fits a 582. 

Posted

While you have everything else apart, you might want to hang the muffler off the firewall.  Those Avid muffler mounts were prone to cracking.  Also, if you hang off the ends of the muffler, you have more room for a muffler shroud for cabin heat.  JImChuk

firewall muffler mt + heat muff 016 (Large).jpg

Posted

As always JimChuk comes up with another good modification for me to ponder. I will definitely look into that one for a winter project after I get this in the air. Thank you for the picture. Where would a guys find a hose bent at 90 degrees on one end to accommodate me replacing this end I have with a straight out housing?

Dusty and JimChuk your input is greatly appreciated. 

Vance

Posted

Just found a good used housing with thermostat for $17.00. New gasket is $5.99 from CPS. 

Posted

I was just looking in the latest LEAF catalog, and they show a 1" hose with a 90 degree bend on one end.  Part # Q9597.  Q9591 is another hose with two 90 degree bends in it.  JImChuk

Posted

Just found a good used housing with thermostat for $17.00. New gasket is $5.99 from CPS. 

Can you post the gasket PN from CPS?  The official Rotax gasket is "special" and cost somewhere in the $30 range.  I did like you and found a used gasket and used an OMC thermostat, but the rubber won't last forever.

Posted

If you go back up 6 or 7 post you will see the link I put in for CPS parts.  There they show the gasket as # 230-980  They only show the cost as $5.99.  Way less than I would have guessed.  The gaskets I've used had a slit in the center so the gasket was on both sides of the thermostat rim.  JImChuk

Posted

Yes I used your link and purchases the smaller gasket. The larger gasket was super expensive. If I needed the larger one I'd try and call a snowmobile shop and see what the price was for one off of a 583. Some of this stuff is stupidity priced. 

Thanks JimChuk

Posted

I just went back and looked again, and it looks like they show the # 12 gasket and the # 13 gasket in there.  The # 13 gasket is $27.50.  On all of the ones I've taken apart, there was just one gasket that was split in the center so it fit over both sided of the thermostat rim.  Actually, I wonder if a couple of O rings, one on either side of the thermostat wouldn't do the job just fine.  It would either leak or it wouldn't I would think.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

When I was looking for one before, I think it was the #13 I was after. The O-ring idea might work.  Even if it leaks a little it would probably be fine. As it is, I drilled the recommended weep hole in the thermostat so it leaks anyway. 

Posted

When I mentioned leaking, I meant leaking out of the engine, not  just bypassing the thermostat.  Good point on mentioning the weep hole though.  Not sure if a new thermostat comes with that hole in it now. JImChuk