Turbo Prop Avid

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

In case you hadn't seen this yet on the Kitfox site.  Neat turbo prop development on an Avid.

http://www.stuttgart.engineering/

cache_59696015.jpg.JPG

Edited by LSaupe
1 person likes this

Posted

Man I hope that works out, $11400 for a 100 hp engine would be nice even with the high fuel burn.  Turbine Cubs of Wyoming tried the concept and gave up on the idea. Turbines really don't come into their own until you get them above 20,000 ft so we will see if this comes to pass 

The prince of Saudia Arabia is having a couple of Backcountry Cubs built here in Casper that iare using a Diesel engine that will be capable of up to 350 HP.  They are suppose to be ready by this August.  My guess is that they will be late.  Anyway they will be set up to ship in containers so they can be shipped to where ever he wants to play.   

Posted

Love to put that on my 390 lb avid, but fuel burn is 9.6 gal per hr!!!!!!!!

Posted

Wow!!! I want one!!! And I wouldn't worry about them at low altitude. You'll be hard pressed to find a crop duster that is a recip!

Posted (edited)

Wow!!! I want one!!! And I wouldn't worry about them at low altitude. You'll be hard pressed to find a crop duster that is a recip!

That should leave the 912$ and RX1 sitting in the dust!  Guess tho with the high fuel burn they will need more wing tanks  for more than a 2 hour flight, and that would negate engine light weight?  Cant wait to hear more Pireps.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Don't you need a type rating for a jet??  I know for a pure jet you do but I'm not sure it extends to turbo prop.  Soooooooo.  On top of fuel burn and initial outlay you have to develop a syllabus for a type rating and get it approved by the Feds?  

Posted (edited)

Don't you need a type rating for a jet??  I know for a pure jet you do but I'm not sure it extends to turbo prop.  Soooooooo.  On top of fuel burn and initial outlay you have to develop a syllabus for a type rating and get it approved by the Feds?  

It's "Experimental" - Anything from Lawnmower engines to solar-electric is covered under SEL rating, including diesels and full-blown V12, or a corn-cob radial salvaged from a B29 - Donno why turbine engine prop would be any different?  Howard Hughes Flying Boat was Experimental, but guess he had a MES rating.  Yes, Jets are in a different category.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

That should leave the 912$ and RX1 sitting in the dust!  Guess tho with the high fuel burn they will need more wing tanks  for more than a 2 hour flight, and that would negate engine light weight?  Cant wait to hear more Pireps.   EDMO

Mine holds 28 gallons, so that is two hours with more than a 30 min reserve. I think a belly tank that held another 10 would be feasible.

Posted (edited)

Mine holds 28 gallons, so that is two hours with more than a 30 min reserve. I think a belly tank that held another 10 would be feasible.

Mine has 4 wing tanks for total of 48 gallons - enough for a 5 hour flight out and 5 hours back (with no headwinds) - Still only enough to get me part of the way across Alaska burning 4 gph.  Unfortunately, I am not in Alaska now, so will probably only use 2 tanks unless I fly back up there.  Turbine burning 9 gph would really shorten my trip.  I will stay with my 4-stroke and save gas money.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Is this the motor  (or plane) that Alex Vro was working on?

Posted (edited)

As fun as that sounds I don't think the novelty will last. There's a guy at my airport flying a gyrocopter with a gsxr 750 crotch rocket motor in it . I'm hopefully going to talk to him this weekend and see how it's working. Those motors put out some power and would be nice to use if they hold up . They generally run high rpms so with a plane I imagine it would be less with a gearbox. Just looked they weigh around 120 lbs and put out 130hp to the tire . I can get these cheap all day . I already have a cbr 600f4 honda motor sitting and toyed with the idea . That motor puts out around 120hp and I picked it up for $200

Edited by chopndrag

Posted

What do you do with the integral transmission?

That is why the RX1 (and other) Yamaha snowmobile engines are so popular right now.  No transmission cast into the crank case.

Posted

That's why I want to see the gyrocopter with the gsxr 750 in it . I want to see how he did it . 

1 person likes this