Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bi-Annual (Sport Pilot, Private Pilot)

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Question for you guys.  I current have a sport pilot certificate for airplane, WSL and PPC.  The regs allow that when my bi-annual is due, I can take it in any one of the three categories and I am covered for all three (i.e. you only need one bi-annual and not three).

I am now training for private pilot in the airplane category.  So... would a bi-annual in an airplane category as a private pilot still cover all three?

Posted

Since you can legally command any of the types on a private certificate, I don't know why not. 

Posted

Yes. Just getting the private certificate will satisfy the flight review requirements as well. Or adding a rating.

Posted

Will I then have one cert which indicates PP for Airplane and SP for PPC and WSL?  Or... remain with two separate certificates.

Posted (edited)

Will I then have one cert which indicates PP for Airplane and SP for PPC and WSL?  Or... remain with two separate certificates.

Just guessing, but I would think you would keep your SP certificates and get the PP cert.   Never surrender any of them if you have a choice.  You never know what the future may bring.   My A&P ratings are on one certificate, but if I had only gotten the Airframe part and later got the Powerplant part, I don't know if I would keep both certs, or they would combine them into one ticket when I got the second rating.  I am sure that the folks at OK City will let you know.  From my experience with them, they just may give you a PPL for all 3!  ??? EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I would think you will have a certificate that says Private Pilot.  All of your Sport Pilot privileges will be swallowed up by the PP cert.

Posted

My single certificate says Commercial Pilot on the front. Back side under ratings it says:

Commercial pilot

Airplane Single Engine Land; Instrument Airplane

Limitations

English Proficient

Sport Endorsement(s) Weight Shift Control Land.

And it has two pictures of me, one with long hair and a mustache, the other without much hair.   :huh:

Posted (edited)

Mine don't say "English Proficient", and one guy in Cheyenne, Wyoming said he couldn't understand my talking!  No Problemo in any other state!  Guess he didn't speak "ArkLaTexMo"?  Ah Garontee!  ???  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I can't remember why it may be important in some situations to have the "english proficient" on there. Perhaps when flying to Canada??? (Like the important and never asked for radio operator licenses for pilot and airplane.) In any event it meant sending for a new certificate @ $2 when it first became so important. 

Posted (edited)

I can't remember why it may be important in some situations to have the "english proficient" on there. Perhaps when flying to Canada??? (Like the important and never asked for radio operator licenses for pilot and airplane.) In any event it meant sending for a new certificate @ $2 when it first became so important. 

Mark,  I am trying to understand why your cert is marked that way - Is it because your primary language is other than English?  Or maybe because you fly to places where the local language is not English?  I don't even know why they use English to describe our American wordage, since the two languages are not completely the same, like Australian and American use different words too.  My original certificate was printed on paper, which soon faded and came apart in my wallet, and then burned in my house.  I forget when they went to plastic laminate.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Mark,  I am trying to understand why your cert is marked that way -

Because he has a certificate that was issued after the FAA started marking all new certificates as "English proficient" on February 11, 2008

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Mark,  I am trying to understand why your cert is marked that way -

Because he has a certificate that was issued after the FAA started marking all new certificates as "English proficient" on February 11, 2008

Some things, like "English" never change with our 1930's Naval Aviation originated CAA/FAA.  Some of the older guys had their paper certificates laminated in plastic locally, and my flying buddy was told by some FAA person that his certificate was "not legal" because he had "changed" it.  I thought we had separated from the "English" after we fought them for 38 years from 1776 to 1814?   Guess we still don't get recognized separately after adulterating their language for about 400 years?  ???  EDMO

Edited by EDMO