How to get plywood out of Holesaw?

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Does anyone have a special way to get plywood plugs out of a small holesaw?  I have no problem with large holesaws, but have broken two 1/8" drillbits last night trying to pry & push the plugs out of a 5/8" holesaw that has a 1/4" pilot drill in it.  Guess I should have tried an icepick?   Real PIA when you have about 40 holes to make!  I know to drill from both sides, but that don't work when you have two 1/4" pieces of plywood screwed together.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Do you have to use a hole saw?  How about a forstner bit like this?  JImChuk                Image result for forstner bit
Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted (edited)

Do you have to use a hole saw?  How about a forstner bit like this?  JImChuk                Image result for forstner bit

That's a good idea Jim - guess I will have to go buy one - Do they come in 5/8"? - I have lots of holesaws.  I am a machinist - still learning to be a carpenter!   Our "Yard cat" had kittens this spring, (We don't have a barn),  and now wife wants me to build a "Cat Hotel"!  Oh, but the 40 holes are for the HS & ELV ribs - not the Cat Hotel!   ;<)   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I have one in 5/8 . I think lowes and home depot carry them . 

Posted (edited)

That's a good idea Jim - guess I will have to go buy one - Do they come in 5/8"? - I have lots of holesaws.  I am a machinist - still learning to be a carpenter!   Our "Yard cat" had kittens this spring, (We don't have a barn),  and now wife wants me to build a "Cat Hotel"!  Oh, but the 40 holes are for the HS & ELV ribs - not the Cat Hotel!   ;<)   EDMO

Got a set of Irwin bits from Lowes - probably would have been cheaper at Harbor Freight, but didn't want to drive 30 miles.  Cost of plane just went up another $30, but will tell wife it is for building Cat Hotel - she wont believe me!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Just tell her they are for windows so the cats can stick there paws out and play with toys . 

Got a set of Irwin bits from Lowes - probably would have been cheaper at Harbor Freight, but didn't want to drive 30 miles.  Cost of plane just went up another $30, but will tell wife it is for building Cat Hotel - she wont believe me!  EDMO

Posted (edited)

Just tell her they are for windows so the cats can stick there paws out and play with toys . 

Good thought, but for "Yard Cat Hotel" the windows will be covered with recycled Kitfox Lexan to keep the rain and snow out.  I figured out 2 places to use a bit on the cat ladder, just so I wouldn't be lying to her.  Thanks,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Maybe if you just drill the cat, (forstner bit, hole saw or 22 for that matter)  that would give you more time to work on the plane.  A guy's got to do the important stuff first!..  I actually like cats, but if it's a choice between the plane and cat, well.................  :-)  JImChuk

Posted

Pull the arbor out of the hole saw and push the plug out from the back with a screwdriver working side to side a little at a time. 

Posted (edited)

Pull the arbor out of the hole saw and push the plug out from the back with a screwdriver working side to side a little at a time. 

Once would be OK - but not 40 times!  Thanks, but I now have a set of Forstner bits.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Maybe if you just drill the cat, (forstner bit, hole saw or 22 for that matter)  that would give you more time to work on the plane.  A guy's got to do the important stuff first!..  I actually like cats, but if it's a choice between the plane and cat, well.................  :-)  JImChuk

The important part is now building a cat house before winter and being nice to the colony of 4 so wife don't take plane along with house, truck, etc!  Too hot to work in shop for more than an hour at a time anyway, and she offered to let me work in HER air-conditioned garage to build the hotel.  Maybe I can sneak in some aircraft plywood on this job?  ;<)  EDMO 

Just got the weather forecast for 100+F temperatures the rest of this week - too hot for me! 

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Update:  Went to the shop with Forstner bits while it was cool this morning and in less than 5 minutes I finished drilling the 20 holes for the HS ribs - Thanks guys for the tip.   Still haven't got the plug out of the holesaw, but that is for another cool day!  :BC:  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Ehhh forget the holesaw you got the right tool for the job now. When I worked at Pall Aeropower we used those for aluminum sheet metal too. Just gotta have a good lube for it.

Edited by chopndrag

Posted

Ehhh forget the holesaw you got the right tool for the job now. When I worked at Pall Aeropower we used those for aluminum sheet metal too. Just gotta have a good lube for it.

Boelube is best lube I have found - Developed by Boeing Aircraft Company.  It is not liquid.   EDMO

Posted

Better look out, Soon it will look something like this.

100_0812.JPG

Posted (edited)

I hope it looks that good.  I haven't even measured VS & Rudder for ribs.   I got a photo or 5 today of Kitfox 4 ribs, intercoastals, top & bottom false ribs and 2-smoke parts that I am buying - problem is, that none of them will fit my Foxy!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Better look out, Soon it will look something like this.

Did your take it apart TJay?  :-)  Is it ready to fly yet?  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

Once would be OK - but not 40 times!  Thanks, but I now have a set of Forstner bits.  EDMO

About a million years ago I was building custom tube guitar amps using all the old Fender circuits as a basis.  Anyway, I used forstner bits to cut the socket and potentiometer shaft holes in 16 and 14 gauge aluminum chassis.  Even the plain high speed steel forstner bits held up great in 5054 aluminum.  Much better than cutting some hardwoods like teak and beech.  Drill press and lots of lubricant. Rapid Tap Aluminum lube.  

Dan 

Posted (edited)

About a million years ago I was building custom tube guitar amps using all the old Fender circuits as a basis.  Anyway, I used forstner bits to cut the socket and potentiometer shaft holes in 16 and 14 gauge aluminum chassis.  Even the plain high speed steel forstner bits held up great in 5054 aluminum.  Much better than cutting some hardwoods like teak and beech.  Drill press and lots of lubricant. Rapid Tap Aluminum lube.  

Dan 

Tube type amps!  Wow,  I just had a flashback of all the studying I had to do on tubes of all types - and all of a sudden there was transistors!  :<)   I used an antique transmitter in the army about the size of a kitchen stove and it put out 1000 watts - A guy in the Navy on the Recovery Ship Randolph talked to me on his Collins KWM2 which was a breadbox full of transistors and put out the same 1000 watts!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Dan 

Tube type amps!  Wow,  I just had a flashback of all the studying I had to do on tubes of all types - and all of a sudden there was transistors!  :<)   I used an antique transmitter in the army about the size of a kitchen stove and it put out 1000 watts - A guy in the Navy on the Recovery Ship Randolph talked to me on his Collins KWM2 which was a breadbox full of transistors and put out the same 1000 watts!   EDMO

They still sound better than any sand state amplifier ever made.  Hollow State forever. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Dan 

They still sound better than any sand state amplifier ever made.  Hollow State forever. 

Agree Dan - That's why some of the old amps are getting expensive now.  EDMO