Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pucker Bushes

5 posts in this topic

Posted

So I experienced the "pucker bush" saying this weekend.  Went to land at a gold mine and applied brakes but nothing happened.  I have the matco double puck brakes.  Once a pad is contaminated with brake fluid its toast.  My disk and pads got saturated with brake fluid.  So I landed long and on top of that I had no brakes.  Notice my tail wheel mark just before the creek.  I managed to pull out just in time.  When I got home I had green stains on my main gear and tail wheel.  Moral of the story.  Dry brakes are good brakes.  According to matco once a pad comes in contact with brake fluid the friction is no longer the same even if cleaned. 

Pucker Bushes.png

1 person likes this

Posted

What was the color of the stain on the seat?  :-)   Glad you got by without damage.  JImChuk

Posted

...probably didn't know the seat cushion condition until the next morning's constitution.  I imagine it got sucked right up in there!

I'm very happy to know that grass stains and pride were the only damage. 

Posted

Good job on the go around!   Not an easy call once you are down and on the "brakes".

Your go around track reminds me of stopping skid marks I see at the biggest airports (BOS RY27 pops in my head).  You turn off and look downfield and can almost see the a bit of brown in the giant skid marks leading down towards the threshold!

Bet you'll have other aviators sctatching thier head while looking at that gouge! 

Posted

If I would have been flying a 582 I would have went in trees ahead.  That rotax 912 with Gods help pulled me out of that mess.  I could feel the drag once I got into the marsh.  The 100 hp overcame the drag to give me enough lift. In my opinion more power is always better in emergencies. 

2 people like this