Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Replacement tires?

11 posts in this topic

Posted

The tires on my bird have seen way better days. I need to replace them before my first flight. I don't see a whole lot of replacement tires in the 8 inch size from ACS or CPS. Do any of you guys use ATV tires? I think Carlisle used to make a turf tire that I liked but I don't see them anywhere. I will not be doing any off airport landings but do prefer grass to asphalt. Any ideas are much appreciated. Mike

Posted

I've seen scooter tires used but they aren't that wide. I'm pretty sure you can find some kind of smooth go kart tire or something along those lines . Just check the load rating .

Posted

I would purchase 6" wheels.  They look better and are affordable at matco.  Also opens up a larger playing field in terms of tires.

Posted (edited)

I ordered a set of these last week.  Got them in about 4 days.  They look good, although I haven't put them on yet.  I have a set of the King Fox tires that look just like these on my Avid now.  JImChuk

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-NEW-Nanco-N800-Slick-21X12-00-8-A-2PR/331774142858?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Same place - Nanco N786 Turf tire is only $35 each.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Posted

I ran the nancos for years. They work great on turf and gravel but suck on pavement. They have no crown just a big wide 12" flat face to grab on touch down. They don't stay round and I recommend you check your pressure before every flight. If starting from scratch I too would go with a 6" wheel and the Desser 21s. The only advantage to the 8" wheel is being able to run the 27" nanco in which case if your planning the big tire route skip the middle man and go straight there. 

IMG_7764.JPG

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Joey that's not a tire that's a inner tube my kids use in the pool . 

Edited by chopndrag

Posted

Joey that's not a tire that's a inner tube my kids use in the pool . 

Seeing some of his other (on the job) pictures, and taking into account that he is only holding ONE wheel/tire, it must be a tail wheel!

1 person likes this

Posted

I ran the nancos for years. They work great on turf and gravel but suck on pavement. They have no crown just a big wide 12" flat face to grab on touch down. They don't stay round and I recommend you check your pressure before every flight.

So do the 27's do better on pavement?

Posted

I ran the nancos for years. They work great on turf and gravel but suck on pavement. They have no crown just a big wide 12" flat face to grab on touch down. They don't stay round and I recommend you check your pressure before every flight.

So do the 27's do better on pavement?

Overall I think they track better but if you ask anyone running really big tires they will tell you they hate landing on pavement. For one thing I cringe everytime I hear them bark and know that I just shaved about $20 off of them. The other thing is it takes them a second to start turning and the tail wants to lift. The 27's are a LOT of drag on a 582 powered bird. I would not think about these tires if I was not doing a substantial amount of off airport landings. 21's or 8.50's are plenty big enough for anything that even remotely looks like a strip.

2 people like this