Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ever wonder what it's like to...

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Be physically connected to another airliner doing 470kts TAS? Grabbed a few pics on tonight's sortie. We frequently do 10 on 10 air refueling for currency and practice. A million lbs of iron 30 ft apart doing 300 kias always impresses me. 

IMG_9527.JPG

IMG_9531.JPG

IMG_9533.JPG

IMG_9539.JPG

IMG_9550.JPG

IMG_9400.JPG

4 people like this

Posted

Your a lucky guy Joey. Thanks for your service to our great nation. Mike

Posted

Wow!

Hat an experience.  That s so cool...

Posted

Do you guys give free washes with a fill up? I'll be right over for 14 gallons of 100LL!

Posted

Whats that little knob on the right do? :blink:

Posted

Hey Joey,

Is it true that B-1 drivers always have a dirty windscreen from fuel splatter upon disconnect?  Aerial refueling is so cool, and I'll bet the receivers appreciate that KC-10 with its bigger extension range, envelope, and fuel flow, over the antiquated KC-135!  The big guys just need to keep their T-shaped tailfeathers out of #2's exhaust plume!  The KC-45 will solve that problem (or will it, with the 767's wing engines so close together?).  We, McDonnell Douglas Boeing, had an internal hu-hu with the Boeing Wichita folks, who wanted to warm over the -135 boom for the KC-45.  I got dragged into the early phases of that design activity.  But there was no saving a bad, 1st-gen design!  We almost lost the tanker to Aerbus!  Fortunately, that KC-45 now sport a modified KC-10 boom,  and on some versions 3 (count 'em 3) hose drogues!  3 times the fun!  Anyway, thanks for what you do, and enjoy your "retirement"!