Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Stratux ADS-B dual band now with AHRS $149

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This is the spin off company of Stratus. I built one of their receivers myself for $120 and have had great luck with it. They just released their new model on an Osh special that now has an internal GPS instead of a USB puck as well as AHRS which will drive the synthetic vision on Foreflight. All this for $149 and $4 shipping. For those that this is greek to this little box gives you synthetic vision, real time weather, traffic, notams, TFR's, etc all for FREE no subscription! All you need is an Ipad and to pay $75 a YEAR for the foreflight App. The amount of info at your fingertips is mind blowing!! For all of you saying that I don't need all this crap when flying an Avid 550 NM across 3-4 states in a day this is VERY useful information to have. Just to clarify this is ADS-B IN only not Out and will not make you 2020 compliant.

https://www.iflygps.com/STORE/Product/stratux

2014-dual-screen-fake-port-no-glare-RGB.jpg

stratus-traffic.jpg

4a8ea12f-77a7-4225-85b9-0fa13ba7a8c2.jpg

Edited by C5Engineer
1 person likes this

Posted

Sweet!

Hey, back to basics question for the smart guys out there:  Would one be required (FAR's) to carry paper vfr charts for x country, or will something like this suffice?

Posted

Foreflight has constant downloads available. They usually only take less than a minute to do on my Ipad on my home internet. The short answer is in your Avid as a Private Pilot YES the electronic version suffices for having a chart. Now if your Ipad is dead or out of date and you get ramp checked without a paper copy you may have to answer to the feds. Here's a pretty good article on the subject. Another cool function of Foreflight is you can enter your aircraft performance data and build a flight plan very easily. Next you enter your departure plan and click on pack for the trip. You will get an accurate time enroute and fuel burn based on the real time winds aloft. It will also download the weather, notams, and even fuel prices for your entire route. What used to take me a full day of planning can be done in 10 minutes now. You can even file right from the app as well if that's something you do.

http://ipadpilotnews.com/2017/02/ipad-legal-briefing-pilots-need-know-3/

1 person likes this

Posted

I didn't think your were legally required to carry a sectional chart in your plane.  I believe it had to be up to date if you had one, but I think they have relaxed that somewhat as well.  But I've been wrong before, so it wouldn't be totally unfamiliar territory if I'm wrong again. :-)  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

I didn't think your were legally required to carry a sectional chart in your plane.  I believe it had to be up to date if you had one, but I think they have relaxed that somewhat as well.  But I've been wrong before, so it wouldn't be totally unfamiliar territory if I'm wrong again. :-)  JImChuk

My CFI required that I have a current one for my BFR.  I think that the FAA now OKs those IT ones, whatever the videos are called.  I usually have an expired paper one - it makes TP or fire or both, whichever is needed most!   I know that laptops can start fires, but paper is a lot cheaper!  ;<)   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Joey,

Do you know if it will work with the android apps like garmin pilot?

Posted

IMG_9678.PNG

1 person likes this