Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Been a while since I looked at a kit invoice

16 posts in this topic

Posted

This is why I'll probably never build a factory ordered kit. Saw this on a barnstormers ad.  $387 for each door? $400 for a basic tool kit?? You can totally dissemble one of these with a 3/8,7/16, and 1/2" end wrench and a pair of pliers. I realize it's hard to turn a profit on the components but wow I had no idea you could literally add thousands upon thousands into the advertised kit price. This is probably why I'll also never have a house built. This solidifies the fact that you are crazy to buy a kit New unless you are 100% sure you can finish it. Pretty horrible investment otherwise. 

IMG_9627.JPG

Posted

The unfinished Kitfox 4 that I bought a while back cost the original buyer about $14,500 in 1994 dollars.  I didn't pay half of that for it in 2010 dollars.  Inflation factor in that time was probably 25 to 30% at a guess.  I completely agree with you Joey.  And even worse is the poor guy that says "I'll get the engine, and a BRS now with the kit and I wont have to buy anything later".   A guy I know just sold an unfinished Kolb for a song complete with 503 engine and a 18 year old BRS that has never been out of the box.   I should have bought it, but I would have felt to guilty.  JImChuk

Posted

There's a barely started rans s6 kit I can get for almost nothing . I keep kicking around the idea of building and selling it

Posted (edited)

I just bought a small pickup load of Kitfox 4 or later parts - it also included some Rotax FWF parts which I don't need - I will be letting them go at reduced prices when it arrives and I get a chance to sort it out - certainly will be lots less than Rotax prices.  I may need help on identifying and pricing those.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Put me down for some rotax parts

I just bought a small pickup load of Kitfox 4 or later parts - it also included some Rotax FWF parts which I don't need - I will be letting them go at reduced prices when it arrives and I get a chance to sort it out - certainly will be lots less than Rotax prices.  I may need help on identifying and pricing those.  EDMO

Posted (edited)

I have no idea what Rotax FWF parts I am getting - bought a "pig-in-a-poke".  They may be for 582, 912, or something in between?  I know you have a good starter now, but I need to find out if my 532 starter will fit anything else - like 582 or E-drive?  This one only had 80 hours of flight time on it.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Ed, I think your starter will fit all of the rotax 2 stroke engines where the starter goes where the recoil start was.  The E box starter has a different part number in my LEAF catalog.  What do you  want for that starter?  Does it have the casting that bolts to the engine?  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted (edited)

Ed, I think your starter will fit all of the rotax 2 stroke engines where the starter goes where the recoil start was.  The E box starter has a different part number in my LEAF catalog.  What do you  want for that starter?  Does it have the casting that bolts the engine?  JImChuk

Jim,  I don't know what a fair price would be - It is still on the engine, so I don't know how it attaches - I can look/photo.  Engine still has stator, coils, etc., but heavy part of engine probably not worth shipping costs. ???   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I could tell you what those parts are in the Rotax price list.  Don't want your wife to collect your life insurance though!.   JImChuk

Posted (edited)

I could tell you what those parts are in the Rotax price list.  Don't want your wife to collect your life insurance though!.   JImChuk

Jim - That would not be a shock to me - I have heard what Rotax wants for their "stuff" - My price would be half of that for new parts, and of course, get smaller for used stuff.  I think the stuff I have coming is new, but have to wait and see what I get.   I may be asking you about new prices.  Reasonable (whatever that is?) offers accepted.   This engine has been taking up space in my storage since 2003.   Guess I could put starter on ebay, but haven't taken the time to remove it.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

If my stator can't be repaired I'll take one if you get one .

Posted

Jim,  Is the LEAF catalog still valid, or is CPS the place to look - are the catalogs on internet?   Thanks,  EDMO

Posted

Those prices I just sent you were from LEAF.  Pretty sure they are all using the price set by Rotax.  I just got a new LEAF catalog in the mail today.  Haven't opened it yet though.  JImChuk

Posted

Those prices I just sent you were from LEAF.  Pretty sure they are all using the price set by Rotax.  I just got a new LEAF catalog in the mail today.  Haven't opened it yet though.  JImChuk

Want to bet that they have gone up?  ;<)   EDMO

Posted

The engine prices have actually gone down.  Not sure on the parts.   An 80 HP 912 is now $14,800.  Used to be something like $3000 more.  Euro down, US dollar up.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

The engine prices have actually gone down.  Not sure on the parts.   An 80 HP 912 is now $14,800.  Used to be something like $3000 more.  Euro down, US dollar up.  JImChuk

Maybe the 80 is going to be discontinued?  Probably costs the same to make a 100?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO