GSC Protractor wanted

17 posts in this topic

Posted

If anyone has a GSC protractor they want to part with please let me know

Thank you 

Vance

Posted

I sometimes see Warp Drive Protractors on ebay - They are / were like $35 new.  Never have seen a GSC.   EDMO

If anyone has a GSC protractor they want to part with please let me know

Thank you 

Vance

Posted

I think I have a extra warp drive one . Not sure what the difference is though. 

Posted

Those will work. What would you have to have for it?

Thanks

Posted

Let me make sure I still have the extra one . It's either in my hanger or my dad's

Posted

Why not use the level app for your smart phone. It's more accurate. That all I ever used. 

Posted

I'm open to suggestions. I have an electronic level. The problem is there is not a level surface on back of the blade for a phone or straight edge to rest security to get an accurate reading.  The pictures I can find on-line show the angle being taken about 6 inches in from the end. I'll take a picture of what it looks like and post it. 

Posted

It's hard to get an accurate reading like this. I also read the angle needed to be 34. This is nowhere close to the degree range I'm seeing on the electronic level. I am going to go back and look up the info again. I either got it wrong or they have thier own way of doing it measurment wise. 

2017-07-24 17.23.50.jpg

Posted

2017-07-24 17.38.11.png

Posted

It appears I'm dealing with two different measurements. 

Posted (edited)

I would think that the 34 would be with the plane level.  Would that put you in the ballpark?  If your plane is level with that 77.4 reading, then could you actually be measuring the reciprical and it is 12.6 degrees?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I read through the directions and figured it out. The plans call for setting the prop blade angle on a table laying at zero degrees. The 34 is the pitch in inches as determined by the factory. You have to apply this to their chart to figure the angle. This angle is given from zero degrees and must be calculate from 90 degrees if the prop is mounted on the engine. So 12.75 degrees minus 90 degrees is 77.25 degrees. 

Posted

So after figuring out the proper angle I set into setting this prop up. This is my third GSC prop and I know some people don't like them but I have had good luck with them. It's been years since I had to set one up and I'd forgot a few things. It all came back once the prop was mounted on the gearbox.

Leveling the face of the prop was easy. The location to pull the angle from was 8 inches in from the end of the blade so I marked that using an adjustable square and a pencil. With the marks in place I used painters tape to create a fixed location on each blade. Since the back of the blade is curved I had to tape a washer to the top and bottom of the mark. This gave me a flat place to set the electronic angle gauge. The instructions said to bring the blades to a like location to set the angle. I used an adjustable paint stick to set under the end of the prop so I knew I was at the same location each time. After all the blades were set I torqued the hub bolts per the instruction. All the blades held their set at 77.2. I checked the tracking and it looks great. It should be a runner. We shall see. 

2017-07-24 22.46.32.jpg

Posted

2017-07-24 23.13.16.png

Posted

Don't know if you saw it, but I built a device to hold a laser on the prop blade.  With the laser lite shinning on the wall maybe 10 or 20' away, I mark where the first blade hits, then adjust the others so the laser shines in the exact same spot.  Very accurate that way to get them all at the same pitch.  Here is a post where I show the laser tool.  You could adjust the screws that touch the prop blade to compensate for the curve in the GSC prop blades JImChuk 

Posted

That's a great idea Jim. I could fabricate something like that easily. Maybe use a pointer.....hmmmm. :) Sounds like another project.

Posted

Actually a laser pointer might be better than what I used.  The smaller the lite dot the better to see exactly where it's shinning.  JImChuk