Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

2 blade or 3???

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Looking for guys that have flown both on their planes.  I have always had the 3 blade ultralight IFA on my Avid.  Last time home I tried out a 2 blade IVO medium that I had traded for.  I had multiple flights getting the pitch dialed in for best performance and all I can say is... it sucked.  Ground roll was much longer and climb out not as good either by a long shot.  When you push the throttle forward I didn't feel any push back in the seat.  The only thing I did notice was a little increase in cruise speed but I really dont care about cruise speed in my flying I want the best STOL I can get.

So, Once again, you folks that have played around with props on your 582 powered birds, what did you settle on and why?

:BC:

Posted

I haven't personally tried a 2 blade on my avid but have with other airplanes. My dad and I did the prop dance with a Excalibur and ended up using a warp drive 3 blade. After all that I just stuck with warp drive . I was actually really happy to see that my avid came with the 3 blade tapered tip . Sorry no real advice for the avid but it seems having that extra prop for more bite seems to help. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I can compare a 2 blade Warp 70" taper tip with a 3 blade IVO 68" and for that matter, a 64" IVO as well.  The IVOs were way smoother, but performance was reduced quite a bit from the 2 blade Warp taper tip.  Those props were on my KItfox 1 with 582 and 2.58 B gearbox.  Not sure how much of this increase came from the make of blades verses the number of them.  Funny thing is there really wasn't  much difference between the shorter and longer IVOs.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

I ran the two bladed 70" tapered tip warp before my 3 bladed Ivo and I'm going to put it back on when I pull my motor to do the stator. The ivo wins hands down for smoothness but I'm not so convinced it wins any place else.

1 person likes this