Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid Amphib Float Info

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Years ago there was a kit offered by Robbie Holman (Sp-?) to convert Avid factory straight floats into amphib floats. Not a lot of detailed info on this retrofit has been available... until now. Thanks to Jerry and Snaps for digging the info up and letting me post for the benefit of the Avid community. 

[edit] The reproductions may a bit tough to read. If you really, really, really need to see the fine detail, PM me your email and I'll send you a copy of the hi-rez originals.

IMG_4997.JPG

IMG_4998.JPG

IMG_4999.JPG

IMG_5001.JPG

IMG_5002.JPG

IMG_5003.JPG

IMG_5004.JPG

IMG_5005.JPG

IMG_5006.JPG

IMG_5007.JPG

IMG_5008.JPG

IMG_5009.JPG

IMG_5010.JPG

IMG_5011.JPG

Edited by dholly
1 person likes this

Posted

I see someone finally found a good use for Coors Light lol

Posted

Ha! If you think Coors Light is bad, one day stumblin' Norm dumped a 30-pk of Milwaukee Best Light in my cooler. Pretty sure I gave about 24 to Ray at the gate on my way out, nobody would touch them!

Posted

Hmm, I just happen to have a set of original Avid floats in my shed.  I was planning to convert the Avid to straight floats and trailer it to a lake, but this might change things.

Mark

Posted

I have to say, it looks like a fairly difficult modification, definitely not for the faint-hearted. Of course, you would need to individually source or find substitutions for all the parts now as the pre-assembled kits are long gone. Not sure I would attempt it on perfectly good straight floats if I had only one set. I also think the Aerocet 1100a's are a better performing float for Avid A-C/KF1-3 and can be found if you look hard with some patience.

Posted

Yes the Aerocet 1100 floats are great, just ask Seehafer.  He can do a 5 second takeoff in open ocean swells and cruise 200 knots with them.  Just ask him...  

:lmao: