Searching for an tricycle-gear for an Avid-Flyer MK4 Heavy Hauler

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I´m looking for a tricycle landing gear. I want to Change my Taildragger into a Tricycle.

Is there someone who will sell an tricycle-gear for an Avid-Flyer?

Best reguards from Cologne (Germany)

Christian

Posted

I have seen a few requests for this.  I have a line on an avid and a custom nose gear I can use for patterns.  If someone has measurements on the main gear I can make jigs to build the gear.  I am thinking going with a spring gear set up for it and not bungee. 

:BC:

Posted

Hello Christian, does your Avid already have the nose gear weldment in the fuselage? Some have it but were sold as or converted to TD. If already in place, I've seen some owners modify a Vans RV nose gear to fit the Avid weldment but I don't have pics, sorry. If you have to add a nose gear weldment, perhaps fabricating something to the firewall and/or engine mount would be easier than tearing into the fuselage. Of course, there is no current source for Avid parts and I suspect what few nose gear struts/forks/hub and wheels were sold by Avid are mostly destroyed by now. They were not very strong at all, you are better to make or retrofit another nose gear IMO. Good luck.

Posted

One or two? of our flyers were converting from nose gear to taildragger.  Try John "Fletchn" - I may have his phone number, but wont give it out without his permission.  EDMO

Posted

I sold my nose gear to John. He was talking about buying the main gear as well but I have not heard back about that. I did pass Johns email address to Christian.

Rick

Posted

i would be really interested in a heavy duty tri gear also.My avid is on tri gear now but it doesnt look like it would handle rough fields very well