Avid 1581 is getting close

28 posts in this topic

Posted

Some of you know I've been tinkering on this MK4 for about a 10 months now. It was an unfinished project. One of the things left was the finish work on the struts and gear legs. I farmed the work out to a friend who's done a few other fabric jobs for me. If you ever want the wide gear or a trim tab added let me know Lowell does amazing work and has built two beautiful Kitfoxes. I just have a few more loose ends to finish up then it's time to call the DAR for the AW inspection. The black brake lines in the gear pic are going away we plumbed in line under the fabric. Can't wait to get into Phase 1.

Specs 

Serial #1581 MK4 Heavy Hauler 1150 gross

Factory Built extended Speed Wing

Stace Schrader Poly Fuel Tanks 24 gallon capacity

Belite multi gauge with Microair radio and transponder

Highcountry Wide gear with 21"  Dessers and custom brake set up using MC4Ds. Bungee Covers by Fisher Upholstery in Eagle Idaho

Custom TW spring with 8" Matco TW

Whelen LED strobe/Nav combo

582 Mod 90 3:1 C box with RK400 clutch 3 blade 72" tapered tip Warp Drive prop

I am open to ideas for a side stripe and I'm also going to run a thread for guesses on the EW soon. 

IMG_9789.JPG

IMG_9794.JPG

IMG_9796.JPG

IMG_9798.JPG

2 people like this

Posted

Looks real nice! Is going to be a replacement or an addition? Mike

Posted

Looks real nice! Is going to be a replacement or an addition? Mike

Addition at this point. Totally different animal. I have no idea yet it this one will meet my mission or not. It is an upgrade for sure thought. It came out really nice.

Posted

I've been deployed since not too longer after I posted this. Scheduled to be home in a week and getting excited to finish up the loose ends on this and get it flying.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Tying up the little details on the MK4. Providing a few more Parts show up this week it’ll be ready to weigh next weekend.

57AA6E12-5962-426B-B39D-B5D4B89F9A04.jpeg

6C10854D-928A-4FD3-B983-00E745CC384E.jpeg

A83337F5-7D59-42A2-BB56-B5447A80C847.jpeg

BAF796C5-3EE0-4D44-8850-1391E732815C.jpeg

F5413F39-92CC-4FCB-BB85-2FB0E82D6DEE.jpeg

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted (edited)

Joey,  I have always had the thought of the wide Red reflector vinyl tapes on fuselage, wings, and tailfeathers - Should light up like a beacon at night if anyone's light hits them - hoping you never need them, but how does the saying go "Better to have and not need, than to need and not have"?  I think some of them have a pattern on them now?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Weight and balance next weekend and DAR scheduled for the 27th!

Posted

Looks like a nice clean bird inside

Posted

I am open to ideas for a side stripe and I'm also going to run a thread for guesses on the EW soon. 

IMG_9789.JPG

the white'n black power  as my bird :BC:

nice looking!

Posted (edited)

I conducted flow testing today from the left wing. I used a motorsports type jug that I had that has markings every half gallon. I put exactly 5 gallons into the tank and let it sit for about 15 minutes to ensure the two tanks were equalized. I disconnected the fuel line right at the header and put it back into the jug sitting in the passenger seat. I leveled the plane using the bottom of the wing and let er rip. Flow was really good for the first 4 gallons and then it slowed down and had a lot of air bubbles in the line. In the 3 point attitude I got around 4.5 gallons back out of the wing. I then set the tail back down in a three point attitude and it continued to flow a little longer. It looks like a gallon from each side as unusable is a good conservative number. Testing the left wing tomorrow which should be better since it's a straight shot into the header and then I will fill the tanks one gallon at a time to mark them visually and see how much I can sqeeze I into these poly tanks. Hoping for 20+ gallons usable which is looking pretty doable. Does anybody see any flaws or anything else I should consider in my testing process? First pic is when I had the plane level. The top mark is 5 gallons. The second pic is after I dropped it back down on the tail wheel. 

137B578C-B7A8-42FA-8668-103903D00E98.jpeg

2AA86788-5722-4A73-AAD8-276E07F990E4.jpeg

Edited by C5Engineer
1 person likes this

Posted

I would also check it at the carbs just to be safe For comparison I think I was at 1 gallon every 5 minutes in 3 point.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Well that's a wrap. Pulled the last rivet for now installing the data plate last night. Also put on the N number and put my placards and labels on. DAR comes out on Saturday.

6B11667D-0372-49A5-B9FF-FF099B8B04B1.jpeg

9DCAC8F4-B8AF-4E33-AB75-35A04419B342.jpeg

1A0121C9-CB38-4366-BA79-E155BC973496.jpeg

93B2699E-7765-4500-B3EC-28E62F4BFBC7.jpeg

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted (edited)

Where is the one that says, "This is an Experimental plane built by Amateurs - Do you really want to fly in it?"   Ha!

Wishing you a very good inspection report.    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Beautifu! 2 questions, did you find a usb converter that don't mess up your radio with static, if so tell us about it... The landing gear, is that cub like bungee suspensions under the neat covers?

Posted

The inspection went well yesterday and about an hour after I got the pink slip I took her for a flight. Few bugs to work out but that’s to be expected. 

790188BA-C047-4E2A-B43C-DAB7DA640129.jpeg

4B2C0D79-75CD-4497-BB1D-4D4863B99A63.jpeg

AE231A84-1069-4011-B44A-B856C81FBFEE.jpeg

Posted

Great news (even if I didn't win the guess the weight contest:lmao::()  Glad you were able to fly the plane.  What are your impressions, and bugs you need to work on.  Oh! pictures (in flight) would be great.  Glad you're flying!  JImChuk

Posted

Congrats of the first flight, we needs pics, videos, and the details!

Posted

You must give us some details......:lmao:

Posted

First Flight report:

15 gallons of fuel on board. She’s too flat on the ground. It was hard to unstick it off the ground. Climbed like a homesick angel. Hit 2000 ft really fast. Roll rate is amazing compared to my Bmodel Stol Wing. Stalls straight ahead but with a pronounced shutter and break. I was not paying too much attention to speeds just yet. I saw 26 mph to 110 mph on the gps with only a light wind so pretty happy with that. More to come’

3 people like this

Posted

Congratulations! Mike

Posted

Good to hear you got her signed off and in the air.  Great Job!  Maybe we'll see a flight test video?

Posted

Great job of course.  Terrific looking.  I ditto the same question as Fred on the USB outlets. Belite makes some but they seem awfully expensive for what they are.  I'm pretty sure that ignition noise can be filtered out with some combination of bypass caps.  

I also have never used those motorsports gas cans.  Dumb question maybe but do they come with some sort of snorkel to guide the gas into the hole.  

Everybody needs two airplanes right?  I need to get rid of two to make room for the Rans.  

Again, happy for you man.  Way to go. 

Posted

I guess now you'll have to install HUGE tires to get the deck angle right....or lengthen the main gear....or lower the tail gear. So many choices :P  what will you modify?

Posted

Looking good. You can never have to many airplanes.

Posted

Congrats!

Mark