Hello from San Diego

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi there,

I am from San Diego, and I am new to flying.

For some strange reason, I am always fascinated by the taildraggers for a longest time. So when I started to learn flying recently, I took a path less taken. I wanted a place where I can have my lessons on a taildragger (instead of a Cessna 152). After some research, I found one that is less than one hour from where I live, and now I am starting my lessons on a Champ (with no electricity). That's really cool! And my instructor is an wonderful gentleman who is in his late 80s (!!!) and he is as sharp as ever. Talking about classic old school!

My plan is to get to my light sports certificate in the next year. And I am looking at getting a Avid / Kitfox to fly around. I have been reading about airplanes for years. It took a lot of time for me to analyze the mission I want to do, I am fairly convinced that it needs to be a taildragger. Avid / Kitfox seems to fit that perfectly.

That's it for now. I will see you guys from time to time. If you happen to know anyone who has an Avid / Kitfox for sell, I would definitely love to know about it.

Thanks,

Adam

Posted

Welcome to our group Adam.  Eventually I am going to get this plane up for sale, but I'm half way across the country from you. JImChuk  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5ZgAOfA90s

DSCN0021.JPG

Posted

That kitfox looks cool, and the sound of the engine is sweet. :)

I know a lot of good airplanes are far away from San Diego, which is in the corner of the map (I need to be careful not to invade Mexico accidentally). That's why I have decided to work for a certificate first. With a certificate in hand, my range of choices would be a lot wider, because I can fly an airplane home myself after I get it. I know that is not a great idea to fly a real long distance on an airplane that I barely know. But with some good planning no rush in schedule, I can manage the calculated risk. I could also drag along some older pilot friends for the trip.

Anyway, at the rate I am doing it, my LSA certificate is probably a year away from now. Let's worry about it when time comes, and I am sure things will go alright. 

Posted

Welcome Adam!

It is fantastic that you located that training opportunity!!  With that in your pocket, someday you hopefully can pass some "old school" down to the next generation of pilots!

And with a certificate full of type ratings and many a thousand hours in the logbook, I'm here to tell ya that you have made a great choice in a kitfox/avid type airplane for your goal because the most fun I've had in airplanes has been in slow and low taildraggers!

Enjoy that training, and have fun when the time comes for ya to pick out that airplane!

Brett

Posted

Thanks, Brett. I hope there will still be people who likes "old school" in the future. Other friends I talked to are dreaming about the turboprop bullets. :-)

I like going to places and have some good time. I read that you can land any place that BLM owns. There are some websites about various wild places one can land, but nothing about California. Maybe we are too crowded/developed here.

Adam

Posted

Thanks, Brett. I hope there will still be people who likes "old school" in the future. Other friends I talked to are dreaming about the turboprop bullets. :-)

I like going to places and have some good time. I read that you can land any place that BLM owns. There are some websites about various wild places one can land, but nothing about California. Maybe we are too crowded/developed here.

Adam

Joey, C5Engineer, is located in Cal - seems to find lots of good places to land his Avid.  EDMO

Posted

Adam

Joey, C5Engineer, is located in Cal - seems to find lots of good places to land his Avid.  EDMO

That's cool. I will for sure ask him and everyone here for ideas once I have my airplane to play with. Thanks.

Posted

Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of cool places to fly in SoCal also. Borrego valley has several spots to include a bone yard of old aircraft. The high desert also has a lot of great spots to go like the old giant rock airport, great place to land and explore. Jacumba is fun also just make sure you do your downwind over the U.S.! Some of this may have changed as I left California 12 years ago, good luck with your aviation adventure. Mike 

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of cool places to fly in SoCal also. Borrego valley has several spots to include a bone yard of old aircraft. The high desert also has a lot of great spots to go like the old giant rock airport, great place to land and explore. Jacumba is fun also just make sure you do your downwind over the U.S.! Some of this may have changed as I left California 12 years ago, good luck with your aviation adventure. Mike 

Hi Mike, thanks a lot for the ideas. I'd love to explore these place once I get my license and a nice little airplane. A lot of great ideas you have mentioned. By the way, I have lived in Wisconsin for a few years. So flying to Oshkosh is definitely one thing on my todo list.

I have also been looking around and found a nice site called "shortfield". It has a map that has many out of nowhere airports. Unfortunately, almost all of those in California are blank with no information or pilot reports. I hope some one has done something like that for California. There must a lot of guys here who want to explore these places and exchange ideas.

Adam

Edited by AFlyer

Posted

There are a lot of good folks flying around California that share your interests. Flabob was a good place as well as Corona to find them. You are going to have a blast, I guarantee. Mike

Posted

There are a lot of good folks flying around California that share your interests. Flabob was a good place as well as Corona to find them. You are going to have a blast, I guarantee. Mike

That's great. I will definitely come here to ask for introductions once I have an airplane to fly.