Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

VG's for AVID Flyer

38 posts in this topic

Posted

Clear gorilla tape this time.  Last time I used the thick clear tape that snow boarders use on the top of the boards, that lasted about 5 yrs.  Getting the remnants off was a pain but with a heat gun set on low it was not too bad of a job.  If you are keeping your bird in a hangar it should last a long time!  I just put the tape over the gap on the top side with the elevator in the full down position.

:BC:

Thank you Leonard. Now that you have explained the process I have seen this done on other Experiments. Can you tell me what the VG lay out is under the tail?

:bc:

Posted

I had the land shorter VGs and I am pretty sure thats what I put under the tail years ago.  I dont have the measurements on me but I want to say the back side of the VG is around 1.5" from the gap.  I dont remember the spacing but its pretty tight.  I will have my brother go out and measure it later today if I can get him to walk out his hangar door :lol:

Posted (edited)

I have the stolspeed vg's under the tail of my KF4.Fitted as per the instructions (4" forward and30mm spacing)from memory.The airplane is now a joy to land,I can even get the tail wheel on first if needed.Over the fence is now 5-8 kts slower and I feel  more confident knowing the nose isn't going to drop when I run out of elevator.

they are well worth the effort.

Edited by Dusty
1 person likes this

Posted

They even make Gorilla tape in white!! What is the VG spacing and set back for the tail?

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

:flag:

1 person likes this

Posted

yes they do!  thats my strut streamlining project temporary permanent holding solution!  :lmao:  They make red as well.. so yes, I have rolls of black, white, red and clear to repair as needed :)  I strip off about 10' of it and wrap it around itself to make mini rolls and its in my survival bag.  It has many uses including holding lexan together when its really cold and starts breaking on you.  fixes covering punctures in a jiffy and makes a pretty good butterfly bandage when called for as well.  Don't leave home without it!

Posted

I have the stolspeed vg's under the tail of my KF4.Fitted as per the instructions (4" forward and30mm spacing)from memory.The airplane is now a joy to land,I can even get the tail wheel on first if needed.Over the fence is now 5-8 kts slower and I feel  more confident knowing the nose isn't going to drop when I run out of elevator.

they are well worth the effort.

Where is your CG at?  if your towards the front of the range you run out of elevator.  If your at or a bit past the rear range the elevator works better and you can land slower as well.

Posted

Clear gorilla tape this time.  Last time I used the thick clear tape that snow boarders use on the top of the boards, that lasted about 5 yrs.  Getting the remnants off was a pain but with a heat gun set on low it was not too bad of a job.  If you are keeping your bird in a hangar it should last a long time!  I just put the tape over the gap on the top side with the elevator in the full down position.

Thank you Leonard. Now that you have explained the process I have seen this done on other Experiments. Can you tell me what the VG lay out is under the tail?

Posted

My CG is in the 13 range. 

Posted

My last w/b check saw a CG at 14.5 ,it is due a reweigh and I would like to be further back 16"?before I filled the tail wheel with antifreeze my landings were a bit randome:wacko:

Posted

I like mine in the 16-18" range.  Flys better and is faster to boot.  When I am at the forward range I have to run full up trim and still hold a bit of back pressure on the stick.  At 16" I run just a touch of up trim.  At 18" I run neutral trim.  I have loaded it where I had to run full down trim and pull on a touch of flaps to fly level.  I don't recommend going that far back on the CG unless you REALLY know your bird and have the room to land a little hot :lol:

Posted

Is there any effect on top end speed with the VGs?

Posted (edited)

Nick, some with top wing VGs reported little or no change in cruise - One guy long ago wrote a letter about putting homemade VGs on the underside front of his undercambered wings and said he got a 10 mph increase in cruise - That was the only time I have read a report, and it was not verified.  I think his letter was posted on here by someone.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

None that I have been able to detect.