Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Suitability for operations from a 40' Container

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Good morning all,

Seriously looking at using a Avid IV for medical missionary flying in the South Pacific island nation of Vanuatu.

Land ownership is problematic here with all the custom land disputes, some of which escalate into the taking of life.

A primary requirement therefore is that she be hangared in a 40' container.

Container door width is 7' 6". (https://www.sjonescontainers.co.uk/container/dimensions.asp)

Folded wing width is listed as 7' 9.5" (http://www.angelfire.com/nd/tcyes/tech.html)

Sigh.

Any solutions? Anyone flying from a container?

Any feedback is most sincerely welcomed thank you.

Strength for today, Bright hope for tomorrow

Yours Faithfully

Paul Dalley

Edited by ave8ta

Posted

I'm wondering if the container is 8' inside, with the door frame taking away 3" on each side?

If so could a guy cut a slot out of the door frame sides where the folded wings would pass?

I suppose even then it'd be a near imposssible squeeze since I have to be super careful going in my 9' wide garage at home.  

Guess you might make it work with some tight tolerance guide rails for the wheels.

Posted (edited)

Get wings removed and boxed with leading edges pointing down against some styrofoam - Horizontal tail and propeller too.  Everything needs to be packaged good and braced in container.  Been there on containers!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Get wings removed and boxed with leading edges pointing down against some styrofoam - Horizontal tail and propeller too.  Everything needs to be packaged good and braced in container.  Been there on containers!  EDMO

But I think he wants to hangar it in there regularly.

Posted

But I think he wants to hangar it in there regularly.

Sorry,  I was only thinking shipping.  Yes, a notch in the door frame might work, but plane would have to enter and exit with wings level.  ???  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Here is an idea.  Bit off the wall, but it would work.  Tip the container on it's side a bit, and maybe a bit of a slanted floor as well, and you gain width.  If the wing was 2' lower on one side than the other, you are 8' wide at that point.   I drew it out on a piece of paper using 1" to 1' scale.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Here is an idea.  Bit off the wall, but it would work.  Tip the container on it's side a bit, and maybe a bit of a slanted floor as well, and you gain width.  If the wing was 2' lower on one side than the other, you are 8' wide at that point.   I drew it out on a piece of paper using 1" to 1' scale.  JImChuk

Don't we have a great bunch of thinkers here? There is always at least one who "Thinks Outside of the Box"!  Good post Jim.  :BC:  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Tipping on the side, if possible, would work the best. Opening the 'hangar' door that now opens somewhat 'upward' might be a challenge though, those doors are heavy.

The horizontal tail surface is the same width as the wings folded.  I found that out when I went to pick mine up.  I took a wing off, thought I'd be good to go, then found the tail was too wide also.  Taking the wing off was a breeze compared to getting that horizontal tail surface, there are a couple of nuts that are almost impossible to get at if you don't grind a socket down.

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

Tipping on the side, if possible, would work the best. Opening the 'hangar' door that now opens somewhat 'upward' might be a challenge though, those doors are heavy.

The horizontal tail surface is the same width as the wings folded.  I found that out when I went to pick mine up.  I took a wing off, thought I'd be good to go, then found the tail was too wide also.  Taking the wing off was a breeze compared to getting that horizontal tail surface, there are a couple of nuts that are almost impossible to get at if you don't grind a socket down.

Mark

Door opening shouldn't be a problem that cant be solved with a come-along, winch or chain on truck.  EDMO 

Posted

If you tip the container 1' out of level, and make a false floor that also is 1' out of level, you will have your 2' offset.  Then the weight of the door may not be such a problem.   JImChuk

Posted (edited)

If you tip the container 1' out of level, and make a false floor that also is 1' out of level, you will have your 2' offset.  Then the weight of the door may not be such a problem.   JImChuk

I would bet that a D8 Cat would make that cut in one pass!  ;<)  I guess the other option is to jack up one side and put something under it to hold it in that position and build a wood ramp to it.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Another option is a Kolb MK3....has folding wings and tail fold also. Is very narrow. Works on floats too.

Posted (edited)

Kolb does end up narrower, but takes about 3 or 4 times longer to get ready for flight than an Avid.  JImChuk

Edited by 1avidflyer