Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

condition inspection

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok guys I just got my Avid back from the first condition inspection its been through since I bought it last sept. All of the items I was worried about were a non issue and outside of a rad flush and cleaning up some very minor engine compartment items nothing else was in bad shape. YEAH ! Now for the reason of my post. I went to a rather big outfit at the Denton municipal airport in Texas. I should have asked price but didn't after looking on this site and team kitfox I expected somewhere in the realm of 300-400 for the inspection and work would be on top of that. Well my bill was a flat rate $995 for the inspection (evidently a $300 discount) and $600 for the work done. I expected somewhere around $100 shop time actual was 109 but inspection was a flat fee. The actual A&P said he usually bills 1300 on LSA. My question does anyone know a shope within an hour of DFW metroplex area that might be closer $ to what I expected? Lesson learned I will ask $ next year just thought prices I saw here was pretty common. I am guessing look for small shops at airports but the internet is less forthcoming than I had hoped. It is almost as if A&P shops rely on word of mouth.

Posted

I haven't gotten the bill for the annuals on my Kitfox and Avid that were done yesterday, but last year the Kitfox was $150.  Talk to every AnP you can find, you will get a way better price than what you got.  Remember, he only needs to be an AnP, doesn't need the IA like a certified aircraft would need.  Sorry I didn't directly answer your question in my reply.  Guess you have a year to look for the next one.  Also, you can do all your own work, just not the conditional inspection.   JImChuk

Posted

Thanks Jim, I have been  keeping up with items throughout the year so was glad it wasn't a worse pounding than it was. After looking at what he changed in the firewall area I am guessing you cannot attach cable/ hoses etc directly to motor mounts. The places I had secured with cable ties directly were resecured in the same area however he wrapped a cable tie around the mount and secured the cable etc to the cable tie on the motor mount with a second cable tie. I gues that is a way to circumvent the letter if not the intent of the law. I will be better armed next year 

Posted (edited)

I would charge about $150 to do a CI on an Avid or Kitfox, if the owner does everything to get it ready, plus some mileage if it was not close to me, and the owner could do all the corrections if needed.  I once told a guy that I would do a CI on his (Minimax?) for $400 and travel the 150 miles round trip for another $150, but I would have had to find all the paperwork on that plane since I am not familiar with them and how they are built.  I really wasn't interested, and don't guess he was either, since I didn't hear any more from him.  EDMO 

Edited by EDMO

Posted

A nice stand off is using a zip tie and about 1/4" piece of 1/4" ID tubing.   In effect, you make a figure 8, with the tube making the center part of the figure 8.  I'll see if I have a picture or else I'll get one.  JImChuk

Posted

Ya Jim I have done that on stuff I thought needed the extra ability to move around. '

Posted

I checked out the LSA "guy" on our field and he quoted me a flat rate of $900. He grouped my Avid into the same category as a full IFR RV-10 or Glasair. I hired a guy who does owner assist out of the back of his truck and paid $250 with no squawks. Sorry bud you were had on that deal.

Posted

I'm lucky to be good friends with a IA . He doesn't charge me anything and in return I weld and powder coat stuff when he needs something done

Posted

If you can find someone who does it as a sideline, maybe on the weekends, you will be best off.  A business has a lot of extra overhead that drives prices up.  My AnP used to work  for a FBO, but it closed up.  He works in an iron mine in the area, and does the AnP stuff on weekends and evenings.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

If you can find someone who does it as a sideline, maybe on the weekends, you will be best off.  A business has a lot of extra overhead that drives prices up.  My AnP used to work  for a FBO, but it closed up.  He works in an iron mine in the area, and does the AnP stuff on weekends and evenings.  JImChuk

Or, some old retired codger who can use the beer money if you talk nice to him!  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I pay an A&P from a local training school $150 plus tip, and do the Avid inspection checklist ahead of time and show it to him. I opened it all up as well. He comes In knee pads and give it a full look over. The first year he had a short list of peeves like too few threads showing above nuts and such. The next year I showed him the cleaned up items. Takes 1.5 hours and presto, a signed inspection!

Posted

Wow you guys need to make friends with a retired A&P! I sign off the condition inspection on 3 local experimentals. I enjoy being around the airport environment so I don't charge them anything. Now to qualify this they do all the work before and during my inspection and I would not sign off anything I wouldn't fly in. Remember most A&P's love airplanes as much as pilots, at least thats true of my generation. Mike

Posted

Ya, next year I will be more prepared. I met the director of operations one day at the little airport I was flying out of and he came over and we talked. Honestly I though he was just a parts guy when I met him. He said they could do the inspection and with everything posted here I expected a good deal less than what I  paid. lesson learned. The A&P did say he gets 1300 for all lsa stuff usually. What a deal I got at $995 right???? Anyway I just need to start my search much earlier next time and ask more questions. Maybe I can find one like you guys are using.

Mark

Posted

Every airport I know of has a couple A&Ps running around doing there own thing . At Zephyrhills we have several but I stick my IA buddy . 

Posted

I've paid $200-$350 for my KF's. I followed and handed the factory inspection list to the A&P to check off in each instance. 2-3 hrs with compression checks etc. I thought the $350 was expensive but willing to pay as I was trying to establish a new relationship. 

Now I wonder exactly how many $1300 payments Marks guy has received to date. And perhaps more importantly how many repeat customers he's had. Little to none I suspect.

Posted

My annuals ended up being $150 each. He also did a little bit of gas welding for me on something else.  He said $300 total was fine.  I ended up giving him $350 and we were both happy.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Around my area the freelance A&P's shy away from experimental condition inspections over liability concerns.  I bought an EAA biplane from a local guy because he was tired of not being able to find an A&P willing to do the inspection.  Sometimes the lawyers keep people running scared.

Edited by Torch