Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Carb ice on a Stratus Soob with Bing carbs

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Just curious if anyone running a Stratus EA 81 with Bing carbs have ever encountered any carb icing issues.

Thanks

Posted

Just curious if anyone running a Stratus EA 81 with Bing carbs have ever encountered any carb icing issues.

Thanks

Maybe you should PM that question to Suberavid - He has the most flying time on one in Alaska.  EDMO

Posted

I set mine up with carb heat but have never had to use it and have flown in a lot of conditions that should produce ice, including cool temps with heavy rain and temps well below 0 degrees F.  The one thing that may help with mine in this situation is having my radiators in the front of the cowling so it is preheating the air getting to the carbs.

Posted

On my bing carbs I installed electric heat, easy to install and works great. There is no power loss (the carb body is heated not the air) and you can leave it on anytime. It draws about 7Amp if I remember well

Unknown

Unknown-2

Unknown-3

Posted

I don't know if it's the same as a ej22 but we never ran carb heat in the gyro my dad had with that motor. But at the same time we live in Florida so who knows

Posted

Higher temps hold more moisture than colder temps do.  Warm temps do not remove the risk of carb ice.  JImChuk

carb-ice-potential-chart.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

I can certainly attest to the fact that the EA81 Subaru will produce Carb Ice with a Rotec TBI 40 even given the stock water-cooled (heated) manifold. And YES there is a longer story to this but that one might need to go into the Dumb File folder in time. 

My general feeling, ..if hasn't yet, it doesn't mean it never will. :huh:

Posted

Wow I am in the carb ice capital going by the chart and haven't had a issue. Then again I never really cut my throttle either . With the stubby speedwing you have to have power for landings or it drops like a rock . My dad had hundreds of hours with a ej22 and never had carb ice either . Just weird how the chart reads.

Posted

The cooling that makes the ice comes from the evaporating gasoline and the venturi effect of the carb where the extra speed of the air drops its pressure and therefore its temperature (like a spray can does), so Jim's chart is dead on. BUT, the whole bulk of literature on carb ice comes from really light, air cooled aviation engines with carbs hung in space away from the block. If you have a car engine, the carb might very well be bolted closely to the block, and getting lots of heat from it. That's because the emissions of a car are dropped when the air is warmer and the gas evaporates completely. Cars don't care for a few percent power loss compared to a nice emissions improvement.. Also, the air intake on a car engine arrangement might warm the input air as SuperAvid describes.

Posted (edited)

The cooling that makes the ice comes from the evaporating gasoline and the venturi effect of the carb where the extra speed of the air drops its pressure and therefore its temperature (like a spray can does), so Jim's chart is dead on. BUT, the whole bulk of literature on carb ice comes from really light, air cooled aviation engines with carbs hung in space away from the block. If you have a car engine, the carb might very well be bolted closely to the block, and getting lots of heat from it. That's because the emissions of a car are dropped when the air is warmer and the gas evaporates completely. Cars don't care for a few percent power loss compared to a nice emissions improvement.. Also, the air intake on a car engine arrangement might warm the input air as SuperAvid describes.

I agree with what Nick and Suberavid said, but you cant argue with someone who has experienced carb ice on a car engine airplane.  The air to an auto engine is usually warmed by the radiator up front, but lots of car carb intake covers (forgot the word) also have a heat riser controlled by a thermostat and use exhaust heat until the water in the engine is warm.  Most of our engines have the radiator behind the engine or under the plane.  The Subaru intake manifold has water flowing thru it to warm the carb, but my modified carb cover also has an exhaust heat riser valve controlled by the pilot.  Some say that they have never used carb heat, and I guess, some wish they had.  Normal factory aircraft intake air comes from an inlet in the nose of the cowl and the carb is underneath the engine and the air is not heated at all, therefore an exhaust heat riser is needed to prevent icing.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO