Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bad fuel line warning

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Last year when I was rebuilding the Kitfox 1, I replaced all the fuel line with a tygon fuel line that I bought at a local Farm and Fleet type of store.  Did the same thing with the Avid this year.  Last week I noticed that the fuel line on the Kitfox 1 looked like it was real tight in one area.  I thought for sure I had plenty of slack in it when I installed it, and after looking at it and pulling on it, the hose was very stiff.  In fact, all of them were. It had definatly shrunk in length as well.  When I looked at the Avid, I found the same thing had happened to those lines.  I took some of it off and tried to crush it with a pair of pliers, put it in a vise and pulled real hard on it to see if it would break, but it wouldn't crack.  Funny thing, is it came off the barbed fitting pretty easy, not sure if it's being so stiff allowed me to stretch it easier or what.  I see lately they don't have any of that hose available, maybe others have had the same problem and told them about it.  I know I'm bringing a piece into them.  Got rid of all that hose on the Avid, and will do it on the Kitfox  before it flys again.  Fortunatly no major damage caused, although I did slip with a Stanley knife while cutting off a hard to reach piece and put an 1 1/2" slice in the side fabric,  That was not a happy moment I can tell you.  Patched it up and it's fairly hard to see, but still it bothers me to glance in that direction.  Here are a couple of pics showing that fuel line and some old, still pliable fuel line.  Notice how the old line wants to fold over, not the same with the yellow stuff.  JImChuk

PS  I run non oxygenated premium car gas only in both planes

Photo1036.jpg

Photo1037.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted (edited)

I am going to use rubber fuel line from auto parts store, and maybe some aluminum tubes, except for vent and sight gages.  I think it is called "Gates Barricade", or something like that.  The last time I slipped with a razor knife while removing a rubber hose from a barbed fitting I got 4 stitches on the top of my thumb!  But the worst of it, was that I was showing a young Coast Guard mechanic how to do it - or maybe how NOT to do it!  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I don't think there's any good tygon type tubing.  I still use it for my fuel sight gauges and vent line from the header tank.  Also I use it on my HacMan mixture control.  I pretty much replace it every year. 

The Gates barricade hose is good stuff other than having a significantly large O.D.  I use that for my main fuel lines to the header tank.  Aluminum after that up to the gascolater on the firewall.

Posted

I don't think there's any good tygon type tubing.  I still use it for my fuel sight gauges and vent line from the header tank.  Also I use it on my HacMan mixture control.  I pretty much replace it every year. 

The Gates barricade hose is good stuff other than having a significantly large O.D.  I use that for my main fuel lines to the header tank.  Aluminum after that up to the gascolater on the firewall.

What about from Gascolator to carbs?  EDMO

Posted

Gascolator to Mikuni fuel pump and carbs is run in smaller, rubber, automotive hose with fire sleeve protection.  This has proved very durable.

1 person likes this

Posted

I believe your tygon tubing is Vinyl Tubing because I have seen the same thing. I now use Urethane tubing from snowmobile shop (blue stuff). Caution never use Urethane tubing in a coolant line the hot coolant degrades it quickly I have seen 2 cases of failure 1 lead to a forced landing!

2 people like this