Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hunting with your Avid/KF series

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Had a great trip to sheep camp but no animals were harmed in the process this year (unfortunately).  We had a guide claim jump us this year on the one legal ram we found and got to him before we did on opening morning. Still we made it in and out without bending anything and had a great time, although probably about the wettest year yet.  Looking forward to taking my daughter out for caribou in a couple of weeks.

Attached are some pictures of this hunt.

DSCN2357-1.jpg

DSCN2371-1.jpg

DSCN2381-1.jpg

DSCN2391-1.jpg

DSCN2394-1.jpg

DSCN2396-1.jpg

DSCN2401-1.jpg

DSCN2403-1.jpg

DSCN2412-1.jpg

DSCN2417-1.jpg

DSCN2430-1.jpg

DSCN2432-1.jpg

6 people like this

Posted

Great pictures, thanks for posting. Mike

Posted

Nice pictures, wish I was young again and could tromp up and down mountains like that again.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

Can you strap the animal to your hood, like on a chevvy?

1 person likes this

Posted

Love the flying part but definitely not the rest......

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Nick, Too funny!  That is a great one.

Edited by SuberAvid

Posted (edited)

Well you definitely get points for having a cool place to hunt. Florida has nothing like that to offer. Hunting here isn't as fun as my brothers property in South Carolina. One day I would love to go on a hunting trip like you guys do one day. 

Edited by chopndrag

Posted (edited)

Some more for the "hunting with your Avid/KF" series and Leni's "What it's all about".  Got to take my beautiful daughter hunting last week.  We flew in to a mine who's owner I was fortunate enough to get to know.   We were trying to fill her caribou tag but only found a few cows the whole week (that's the way with caribou); but she got nice black bear and we had a great time, great to get to do that and cherish those times.DSCN2478-1.thumb.jpg.ddddaf365d6a8c48d42

DSCN2471-1.jpg

DSCN2484-1.jpg

DSCN2493-1.jpg

DSCN2497-1.jpg

DSCN2508-1.jpg

DSCN2513-1.jpg

DSCN2516-1.jpg

Edited by SuberAvid
4 people like this

Posted

Wow, Randy! Looks like you guys had a great trip. Congrats on the bear. It should be good eating too, nice and full of berries.

Jack

Posted

Last year Florida had a bear season just north of my house. I wanted to get a license but they were gone as fast as they opened it up . There's talk about it happening again this year so we'll see . 

Posted

The last picture is the best in showing the positives of the Avid Flyer.  Like the other ones as well.  JImChuk

Posted

x2^

Luv it but no tight turns allowed! Chevy no longer makes an ext cab w/ 8' bed so I have to leave the tailgate down for my camper and use an extended receiver drawbar when towing. Most car haulers have the trailer jack too far forward near the coupler to run with the tailgate down, a real P.I.T.A. Because my CG is behind the rear wheels with the camper on I added some Torklift Stableload spring helpers, made a HUGE difference in squat and sway control when loaded up. They can be left in place and disengaged quickly with an empty bed.

Posted

Awesome pictures ,looks like a priceless trip with you and your daughter, very cool

Posted

It was pretty special trip to be able to spend a week with my daughter one on one.  I don't get to do that very often since she has a family of her own.

Towing the plane always draws a crowd wherever you stop, even here in AK where every other person has an airplane.  I am going to have to do some trailer modifications or get another trailer when I get the extended wings done.  On this trip I mounted my tail ramp where I normally do on the trailer but immediately had to move it as far back as possible to keep the camper from crunching a wing in even a mild turn. I want to build an enclosed trailer for it one of these days but think it will need to be about 24' to be able to do it, plus will have to be a bit wider than 8'-6"  to fit it inside since the Avid+ is 6" wider.

There are a lot of advantages to being able to tow the plane for sure; the weather up here tends to be different depending on which side of the mountain range you are on.  We had to leave a buddy's Cub up there for two weeks one time before he could get it home.  The other thing is it makes it much easier to ferry loads in or out to your destination.  This plane continues to amaze me with how much it will haul.  I was able to get us and all out gear in in one flight (with two gun boots on the wings).  Still, it took us two pack trips with full packs each to ferry our gear from the runway to the top of the ridge where we were camped.  I had to do two trips to get our gear and the bear out though.  Ferrying it all the way home would have taken multiple days.

Hope you guys get to do a bear hunt Steve.  Bears down there must have to be good swimmers.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I'm pretty sure they are considering where the hunt area is . They have the gulf and springs right near where the hunt was . Hell if I remember right Ted Nuggent even came down for it . They haven't announced anything yet or maybe they did and we all missed it because of the hurricane . I actually just looked it up and there's no hunt this year . It was supposed to last a week in 2016 but was only 2 days . 289 bears in 2 days daaamn. 

Edited by chopndrag