Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

EAA Chapter Chili Feed

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Since things have been a little quiet on this front I thought I would at least report that we had a good fly-in chili feed yesterday at one of the guys place on W. Beaver lake. Unfortunately not too many flyers; mostly drivers. One of the other guys who has a Z701 called me to make sure I was going to fly. Seems it is pretty embarrasing to have a fly-in with no fly-ins hammerhead.gif. We at least had 4 planes this year instead of 2 last year (guess who the 2 were?). I made the ultimate sin of not bringing my camara thoughbanghead.gif . Still, had a lot of good hangar talk and way too much food; and I got to stretch the Avid for a little bit. With our recent melt down (Palmer was up to 49 degrees) I didn't know what Wolf lake was going to be like. I knew it was plenty solid, just didn't know if there would be a lot of water on top of the ice. Turned out it wasn't too bad, just some slush pools; and all the other lakes out to the West still had snow. Coming back to Wolf lake last night; it is amazing how far you skate on wet icebugeyes.gif . I am not sure I would ever have stopped as long as the prop was turning; finally had to just gently turn it around and start skating back to the truck and trailer to load it up and tow it back to the hangar.

Hope things get cold again soon, I need a little more winter flyingsmile.gif . Come spring I am going to hae to bite the bullet and start transfering parts to the Avid+. Life is going to be tough with no flying airplanesad.gif .

When are you Kenai guys going to do your pancake breakfast this year? Maybe that will be my last flight before I pull the wings?

Posted

I am not sure the date on the breakfast.

I got a call yesterday morning about 9:30 that I needed to head out to the plane... Loaded up and flew up for the start of the Iron Dog.. we made it to the river about 20 minutes before they broke out off the iron dog trail and hit the river so we got some good shots of the first 8 or 9 teams. We jumped back in the planes and followed them for awhile but the light was VERY flat and the guys were only running 45-50 on the river... normally we roll through there at 100 MPH. We cruised up ahead and landed in the big swamp past sqwentna and got some shots of the guys coming through there. Loaded back up and headed to Fish creek lakes and spent the night at a buddies cabin. If I would have been thinking I would have given you a call from the air letting you know what we had planed. Was a nice day for flying.. I think I put on about 8 or 9 hrs.

Should have some good shots in the next few days from on of the other planes that was in formation with us. I left the house in such a hurry that I did not even grab my camera.

I think they got some shots of some tracks I put down on the lake... there was a nice big open hole and the river running between fish creek lakes was open... so I had to land, taxi in the water, and come in and out of it a few times... I wonder what the next guy that flys over and sees those tracks is gonna think :lol:

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Shucks, sorry I keep missing you Leni. Do you think you will be around for the Iditarod? I plan to take Monday, 8 Mar off and cruize out to Swentna area just to watch some of the activities. Hopefully we will have decent weather that day. Let me know if you might be heading that way. I'll be the guy trying to figure out your tracksbugeyes.gif .

Randy

Edited by SuberAvid

Posted

Randy,

I am flying up to Big Lake this afternoon for a Craw fish boil at my cousins place. He lives right off the end of schooner drive, not too far from the boat launch on the south side of the lake. In fact, I think he is just West of the Big Lake airport. I plan on taking off from here about 2:30 or 3:00 and wil be there all day tomorrow and head back this way Sunday mid morning. I will give you a shout and see if we can hook up. I can run over to your hanger and check out the new bird!

:BC:

Posted

Sounds good Leni; I'll keep my cell phone on and expect a call sometime on Sat.

Randy