Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ALERT on FORD BRAKE LINES

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Our 2008 Ford Escape with 48K miles started a little jerk to the right when driving at highway speeds and getting on the brakes a little - it would slightly jerk and then all would seem normal.  Midas told me today that they have found this a lot in Ford brake hoses - The brake hose on the right front wheel had deteriorated inside and was blocking the flow to release the brake pads - Also, that pad was not fully seating, and only hitting on one corner, which saved us from a completely locked-up front wheel when I hit the brakes.  Well, $488 for new rotors, pads and hoses got it back to being safe now - I hope.  Just thought I might alert someone before something worse happened.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Beware, Ed.  This sounds like a typical scammer Midas story.  They have a reputation as being less than forthright with repair charges. 

They like replacing ball joints with a similar story...

Posted (edited)

Larry,  The "Chief Mechanic" at Ford is the one I don't trust.  When this car was under warranty I had a problem with the rear brakes, and he "inspected" them and found nothing wrong.  I took it to Midas, and they showed me the leaking rear wheel cylinder and the saturated brake shoes before they replaced them.  When I experienced the jerking problem this time I thought it was too serious to wait for an appointment next week and didn't trust Ford to fix it.  We had no problems with our other 3 Fords, but this one seems to be a Lemon, which can happen with any brand of vehicles!  Ford has sent "computer experts" to my house and it has had to be towed back to Ford twice and still has computer problems.  I have owned vehicles from all of the Big 3, but ex-wife had a Toyota Land Cruiser which almost broke us with high prices of repair parts for it.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Then your dealership is just as crooked.  Find a new dealer to work with.  

I work on cars for a living.  They are mostly all crap.  Don't kid yourself as one being better than another.  But, some are worse than others.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Then your dealership is just as crooked.  Find a new dealer to work with.  

I work on cars for a living.  They are mostly all crap.  Don't kid yourself as one being better than another.  But, some are worse than others.

I was a Toolmaker / maintenance machinist for Chrysler for 27 years - I know how things get done at car factories.  They once put 5000 sets of bad ball joints in the cars, while knowing that they were bad, but production line had to keep moving.  The repair crew worked 7 days a week to replace all of them before cars could pass inspection and leave the factory.  3rd generation Autoworker, although I started out at McDonnell Aircraft here in St. Louis.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I buy cars based on the dealership service dept more than the car or the 'deal'. Once I find a good one, that is where I stay, but ready to move on if they get sold or change their focus.  We had an awesome BMW dealer in Illinois, so we bought BMW's for years.  Moved to Florida, and the BMW dealers here are awful - may as well by a used KIA from a 'buy here pay here' lot.  Found a good Chrysler dealer locally, so now we buy Chrysler vehicles.

When I'm checking out a new dealer, I go look at the service dept, and watch it for a while.  Service is way more important to me than the 'deal'.  You can get the same 'deal' at virtually any dealership, and I do that once every 5 years or so.  Service I use 2 or 3 times a year.

Mark

2 people like this

Posted

That is common with the brake hoses. It happens on GMs too.

As far as brands and to get even more specific, 3/4 ton and over, I chose Mid 2000 Dodges. 5.9 Cummins in both. One has 160K+ (work truck) and the 05 75K or so. The 05 is my pippin' truck. I have close to a million miles combined in 5.9 Cummins trucks, so..........

20161209_164625.jpg

Posted

Four wheels and a FUCKIN seat,  people call me crazy for telling em that. ALL cars are crap Haha