Extended Speed Wing with short flaperon location

11 posts in this topic

Posted

A good friend of mine just bought Robert Hasts (High Country) beautiful hybrid Avid. I noticed when I looked it over that the short flaperons are on the inboard portion of the wing. On other extended speed wings I've seen them on the outboard part of the wing and the tubes coming from the turtle deck extended. Curious on people's opinion on the affects on the roll control with it set up like this. You can see what I mean below. 

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

Posted (edited)

I moved them out on my extended speedwing. The wing tip is still flying long after the root has stalled if the wing was built to the plans(2" washout if extended) giving roll control at a lower speed.

If the wing was built with little to no washout initially it probably wouldn't make a big difference where there attached.

Travis

t deck 15 [800x600].JPG

Edited by birddog486

Posted

The roll control is a factor of both the difference in wing lift created by the flaperons, and the distance from the CG of the aircraft that the lift is applied. Even without much washout, the inboard flapewrons will generate only 1/3 to 1/2 the control capability of the same length of flaperon put on the outboard section of the wing. It is basically a leverage thing.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

The roll control is a factor of both the difference in wing lift created by the flaperons, and the distance from the CG of the aircraft that the lift is applied. Even without much washout, the inboard flapewrons will generate only 1/3 to 1/2 the control capability of the same length of flaperon put on the outboard section of the wing. It is basically a leverage thing.

Totally agree with what Nick said - Only he said it better than I could.  Ailerons are most effective on outer 1/3 of wing.  Rudder is also part of roll control too, but that part has not been changed.  Really nice bird, but could be made better with flaperon extensions.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Hello

Please tell me what happen if i extended the speedwing and flaperons its no extended? 

Someone  have experience? Please help  me 

Tnk from.Romania

Posted

Has anybody split the ailerons and the flaps? Seems like it would be fairly easy to do using the 3/4" tube for the outer portion and 1" slid over it inboard for the flaps. Just asking!!

Jim 

Posted

Has anybody split the ailerons and the flaps? Seems like it would be fairly easy to do using the 3/4" tube for the outer portion and 1" slid over it inboard for the flaps. Just asking!!

Jim 

Jim,

That is how the Montana Coyote is.  I have not yet pulled mine apart but they are really stiff right now on the basket case I have.  I will have to get them apart and clean them up and see if I can get them working freely again.  I will post pics of the system when I get back on the project. 

Posted

Thanks. I figure if I have to build a set, I might as well split them up and hopefully make it a little easier to fly.

Jim

Posted

I doubt that splitting them would make it any easier to fly and it adds another mixer system and more control rods etc to the system.  I don't think more complex means easier.

:BC:

Posted

Maybe that was a bad choice of words. Simple flap action and separate aileron controls. Or maybe no flaps?

Posted

Birddog486, your extended round going out to outboard aileron should shed vortices and sing at about a C# tone.  There are workarounds if this shows up as too annoying!