Mounting Aero Classic Tundras

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Has Anybody succesfully mounted a pair of Aero Classic 22x8.50x6 with Areo Classics tube on Matco's wheel that was oem to the MKIV? If so, what is the trick?  Thanks a bunch, Bryce

Posted

I put mine tubeless on Grove wheels. 

What trouble are you having?

Posted

I am running them with the tube with no issues. Just had one apart the other day.  What issues are you having Brice?

Posted

Getting the wheel halves together with the tube inflated. The bolts aren't long enough.  If tried with deflated tire the inner diameter of the tire is too small for the wheels. 

Posted (edited)

Lots of soapy water and a set of motorcycle tire spoons or get longer bolts put it together and change them out one by one when it's together

Edited by chopndrag

Posted

I like the longer bolt idea! I did get some tire talc to lube up the tubes

Posted

I did not have issues installing the tire on the wheel with the tube deflated but the bolts were a little struggle getting them aligned but the length was ok.  Not to sure I would want to try bolting with the tube inflated but my tire slipped right on to the rim. Mine are the straight tread style not the smooth tire.  Is that what you have?

Posted

Mine are the smooth style.  The tube has an unusual characteristic in that when it's deflated, the valve is pointed towards the outside of the tire.  Put a little air in it, and it takes the correct shape. It's the way the tube is made. 

Posted (edited)

Liquid soap with or without a little water makes them go on 1000% easier.  We used it on the tire mounting assembly line machines at Chrysler and mounted at least 5 or more a minute.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The Matco site recommends squeezing the tire nearly flat, with the tube inside, using large clamps. Then slip half the wheel on, set the tube's inflation tube in place, then slip the other wheel half onto it. Big trick is not pinching the tube. As EDMO says, lube helps. Here is the Matco service bulletin (http://static.veracart.com/matco/item_pdfs/3734/document1.pdf), I used it on smaller tires and it helped a lot. Not sure about bigger tires, though!

Posted

I had this issue when I was working for a light sport company. We ended up soaping the crap out of everything end using the longer bolts . The way the tires were shipped made them all warped when we got them so installation was a pia. We tried the longer bolt method and it worked way better. Either way gotta make sure that tube doesn't get pinched it only takes a tiny bit.

Posted

I tried matco's method with the tube not inflated and had no luck.  Chopndrag, when you assembled the tires, did you inflate the tubes? If so, how much? Thanks, Bryce

Posted

So I've tried everything now. I finally measured the inside diameter of the aero classic tube and with a fully inflated it's only 5 1/2 inches across. So I'm thinking of using the old 800 x 6 tubes out of my old tires.  These are 8 1/2 x 6 tires, the question as well these tubes work all right in the tire? Any thoughts? Thanks Bryce 

Posted

We inflated just enough to be able to move it around some . 

Posted (edited)

Bryce,  I don't know if the 800 tubes will work for you, but if all else fails, I can see if I still have a set of 8.50 tubes in my shed - I don't remember if I kept the tubes with the tires off of the old 170.  If you have to have larger tubes I will send you those if I still have them and you pay the postage.  If you want them, send me PM with address and I will look after storms pass tomorrow.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hey Ed, thanks for the kind offer. But I think I got it guys! I was putting to much air in the tire while trying to bolt down the wheels. Thanks to Michael Ricketts for the help with this!  I appreciate everybody's imput! 

image.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

good job!  If that is one of the old tires sitting behind it, I will bet that you never had any bounced landings before!  Be ready!  :BC:  EDMO