Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rotax 582 spark plug gaskets

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Do you guys remove the spark plug gasket on the spark plugs with the CHT sendors? If so how do you get those gaskets off. I remember reading somewhere about them being removed. I can't find anything on it now.

Thanks 

Posted (edited)

Take them off with a pair of wire cutters. There's probably a easier way but that's how I do it .

Edited by chopndrag
1 person likes this

Posted

You do have a 582 if I'm remembering right.  Most water cooled engines use the water temp instead of the CHT temp like you would if it was air cooled.  JImChuk

Posted

I have both on mine and it's a 582

Posted

I have both on mine and it's a 582

What do your CHTs run when you are showing 170 or so water temp?  JImChuk

Posted

I can't even remember my plane has been down for way to long. I do remember having my max line marked and they were always in the middle of the gauge. I had the cheek radiators for that though. Now with the radial cowl and different cooling system I'm not sure . I'm still working on getting a stator for my motor and getting back in the air and as soon as that happens I'm sure I'll be watching my gauges like a hawk the first couple flights. 

Posted (edited)

I never did understand the purpose of a CHT on a 582. My 503 CHTs run about 350 to 400 F with a maximum limit of 480.  Minium before take off is 200.  Dave lockwood gave me a free Rotax hat for knowing that.

Rotax lists the CHT on a 582 as optional.  http://www.ultralightnews.com/rotaxinfo/rotax582.html

Normal: 110 C - 130 C or 230 F - 270 F
Maximum: 150 C or 300 F
Max. Difference: 10 C or 45 F
Edited by tcj
1 person likes this

Posted

My mkIV came with both so I figure I'll keep it that way. If one goes out at least I have a backup for my temps. I always had both cht and water temp on all of my planes . It all comes from my dad who always told me you can't pull over in the air . 

Posted

Reviving this old thread. I had wondered about this, seeing that the extra thickness affects the depth of the spark plug. I’m running a 503, so no water temp. EGT and CHT. I figured that the spark plug washer was designed as a multiple layer deal so it allows for heat expansion. What are other people doing with CHT sensors on the spark plugs? Leave the washer or take it off?

Posted

I ran the washer on my 503 with CHT sender for 6 years. Never had an issue or difference of temps or performance. I've heard both ways so no defining facts. Then I put the CHT's senders under the head bolt and never looked back. Of course you have to change the ring to the correct size. And did not notice a temp difference after a few minutes longer warm up. And I don't use anti-seize on the plugs, only engine oil.