Go Kart to Matco Brakes

88 posts in this topic

Posted

C5 Engineer, I don't know if you are still here or not, but I remember you once posting a new set of rudder pedals for your avid, I am hoping You could send another picture of the way they are set up, I somehow have had my pedals disappear and need to make a new set, I can probably do this on my own, but I would like to have a shot to see how yours were done again. Hydraulic Brakes are going to have to wait, but I have 3 grass fields to land on so I don't need them for anything but taxiing. Hydraulics will come later. I almost sold my Avid, but am Happy I kept it, I just need to do the final 90% new firewall, Rudderpedals and check out the engine internals,

I just took a taildragger lesson in a Kitfox IV and flying from the right hand seat with no brakes I had no problems doing anything but taxiing and run up and taxiing wasn't that big a deal. These land so much easier than a cub even with the speedwing.

Posted

There are several pictures of rudder pedals buried in this thread. Check out the first few pages. This is page 4.

Posted

Is Micheal making the peddles any longer?  Id like a set.  If I'm lucky enough this many years out give me a jingle. (619) 300-335one, sean

Posted

Is Micheal making the peddles any longer?  Id like a set.  If I'm lucky enough this many years out give me a jingle. (619) 300-335one, sean

Hi Lorenz.I left you a message in personal AFF message folder. Let me know when would be an appropriate time to call. 

Mike

Posted

Good to see you are still around Mike. I installed the intensifier kit to the MCs when I went to the 27s. I locked em up on dirt the other day. 

Posted

Good to see you are still around Mike. I installed the intensifier kit to the MCs when I went to the 27s. I locked em up on dirt the other day. 

Joey,  Did you also install the 2nd Caliper with the big tires?  EDMO

Posted (edited)

Joey,  Did you also install the 2nd Caliper with the big tires?  EDMO

No need Ed. With the proper geometry the Matco set up works just fine on a lightweight Avid. I can do full power runs with the MC-4s and Mikes pedals even with the 27s. I wouldn't want any more brakes right now. They are perfect to stand on fairly aggressively and not fear dumping it over.

Edited by C5Engineer
1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Joey. Ya still kickin. Interesting to hear about the intensifier experiment with your plane and how it worked out. With the avid rudder bar brake pedal design a smaller piston in the mc should lead to more pedal travel and less mechanical leverage. But I think the crude math i did a long time ago showed the intensifier would help like 10 percent with the avid setup on paper with the single w62 caliper on the hydraulics improvement end of things squared off against the mechanical loss.  

Posted (edited)

Hey Joey. Ya still kickin. Interesting to hear about the intensifier experiment with your plane and how it worked out. With the avid rudder bar brake pedal design a smaller piston in the mc should lead to more pedal travel and less mechanical leverage. But I think the crude math i did a long time ago showed the intensifier would help like 10 percent with the avid setup on paper with the single w62 caliper on the hydraulics improvement end of things squared off against the mechanical loss.  

Sooo - I have Grove Brakes, and the one set of Grove MCs I have are 9/16" bore - To add another set of MCs, or to change to 2 sets of Matcos, would it be better to use the Matcos with 1/2" bore or 5/8" bore?  I have both sizes.   Or possibly, a set or two sets of some kind that I removed from a Piper with Cleveland wheels & brakes?    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Sooo - I have Grove Brakes, and the one set of Grove MCs I have are 9/16" bore - To add another set of MCs, or to change to 2 sets of Matcos, would it be better to use the Matcos with 1/2" bore or 5/8" bore?  I have both sizes.   Or possibly, a set or two sets of some kind that I removed from a Piper with Cleveland wheels & brakes?    EDMO

Well I suppose there is a formula for determining optimum ratio for piston sizes in a hydraulic brake setup but I don't know what that is. Multiple caliper or caliper piston setups would preclude the use of larger mc pistons so as to mitigate excessive piston travel to get fluid activating the caliper pistons. Final success is about building a leverage structure that can successfully turn leverage into line psi...not only on paper but on the plane itself. 

Posted

Thanks - At least I should have one set of Grove MC's that will work - Copilot's side will be trial and error...   EDMO

Posted

I want to ask if I understand the MC bore comparisons right:  The smaller 1/2" bore would take more pedal travel to disperse the same volume of fluid than the larger 5/8" bore, but possibly you could make more pressure with the smaller one?   EDMO

Posted

I want to ask if I understand the MC bore comparisons right:  The smaller 1/2" bore would take more pedal travel to disperse the same volume of fluid than the larger 5/8" bore, but possibly you could make more pressure with the smaller one?   EDMO

Yup that is the working theory. It is the leverage determined by the ratio between the surface area of the 2 pistons in the system. 

1 person likes this