Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Transition Sport Pilot to Private Pilot

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Question for those of you who have recently been through this process.  I am scheduled to take my PPL check ride on Monday.  A review of my certs indicates that my temp student cert has recently expired.  I have been flying on a 120 day paper temp student pilot cert.  IACRA indicates they never sent a blue card (student pilot cert) to replace the paper copy as I already have a Sport Pilot cert.  Not sure why that makes sense, and neither does our local FSDO. My PPL will utilize my current SP cert number.

Kinda in a bind here.  IACRA wont issue a blue card and the FAA is not quite sure how to handle this (kind of a Catch 22).  I don't think I can fly solo until this gets sorted out.  Not sure if I can even do my check ride.

Any of you run across this before?

Edited by LSaupe

Posted (edited)

Question for those of you who have recently been through this process.  I am scheduled to take my PPL check ride on Monday.  A review of my certs indicates that my temp student cert has recently expired.  I have been flying on a 120 day paper temp student pilot cert.  IACRA indicates they never sent a blue card (student pilot cert) to replace the paper copy as I already have a Sport Pilot cert.  Not sure why that makes sense, and neither does our local FSDO. My PPL will utilize my current SP cert number.

Kinda in a bind here.  IACRA wont issue a blue card and the FAA is not quite sure how to handle this (kind of a Catch 22).  I don't think I can fly solo until this gets sorted out.  Not sure if I can even do my check ride.

Any of you run across this before?

Here is my "Best Guess", based on some things I have read about it.  Re:  A Sport Pilot or Private Pilot, and guess a Commercial Pilot too, whose time has expired to get a BFR cannot act as Pilot in Command on the BFR flight, so the CFI doing the flight is PIC - Also, since the person taking the BFR wont be covered by insurance, make sure that the CFI is the one who rents the plane and is listed as PIC.  I imagine the same would apply to one taking the PPL flight test.  I don't think you are allowed solo flight without Student Permit if plane is not LSA where you can use your SP Certificate.  The only other question, and I believe you have to have a current one,  Is the 3rd Class Medical, but I am not "FAA ordained", or a CFI, just a PP now SP without a medical. 

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Turns out that once you obtain a pilot cert, you no longer need a student cert for upgrade training per 61.31 d (2) and 61.56 (g).  So... back to having a green light.  Hopefully all goes well on Monday.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Turns out that once you obtain a pilot cert, you no longer need a student cert for upgrade training per 61.31 d (2) and 61.56 (g).  So... back to having a green light.  Hopefully all goes well on Monday.

Good news and info.  Hoping all goes well - I was needlessly nervous when I took mine - tried for more perfection than the examiner expected from me - was easy now that I think back some 50+ years.  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I thought I failed my checkride when I took it . It was a really windy day and the examiner was a airline pilot who rarely flew small aircraft anymore. We went around the pattern did a landing then went out did a turn around a point and a climbing turn . After that he said lets fo back to the airport. I'm thinking oh shit what did I do we've only been up 20 minutes. We taxi up and my dad has a look of huuuuh on his face . Examiner went to his truck came back with my passing certificate. My dad actually asked why it was such a short flight and he replied if the kid can keep that plane level and flying right in that kind of wind I don't need to be up for a hour in that weather . Sorry for the long post but it reminded me of my experience.

1 person likes this

Posted

I thought I failed my checkride when I took it . It was a really windy day and the examiner was a airline pilot who rarely flew small aircraft anymore. We went around the pattern did a landing then went out did a turn around a point and a climbing turn . After that he said lets fo back to the airport. I'm thinking oh shit what did I do we've only been up 20 minutes. We taxi up and my dad has a look of huuuuh on his face . Examiner went to his truck came back with my passing certificate. My dad actually asked why it was such a short flight and he replied if the kid can keep that plane level and flying right in that kind of wind I don't need to be up for a hour in that weather . Sorry for the long post but it reminded me of my experience.

I figured that my examiner was anxious to get his feet back on the ground after half an hour with my flying, but after he gave me the papers he asked me to fly him 40 miles back to my home airport so he could pick up another plane - made me feel better.  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Lets hope I have a similar experience.  Just a ton of variables.

Posted

Only thing  I can say is just go fly do your best and everything should be just fine . Listen to the examiner and follow your POH for the plane to the T. Examiners don't expect you to be completely perfect but they do want to know that you can fly and follow procedure. My first landing with the examiner was a little rough. I was used to flying my hours off on my student cert. and I came in a little hot . Oops , all he said was practice and have fun . Good luck