Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Help with magnum spics

3 posts in this topic

Posted

So I've watched the old Avid promotional video on YouTube quite a bit.  It clearly states that you can put a 250 lb. person in the back, but then it says ingress is through the turtle deck.  Seriously?!?!  The other problem is, everywhere else I look, they say 150 lb. is the max in the baggage compartment.  I have two small kids that only weigh about 120 lbs. total.  I already tried to buy one magnum off barnstormers but some guy from Canada beat me to it.  I found another that I can try to buy but I'd like to hear from anyone who has flown them or been around them.  Is it significantly narrower in the baggage compartment?  Will it really hold 250 lbs?  What is ingress/egress like getting to the baggage compartment.  Don't get me wrong.  Sometimes my kids seem like baggage, but I'd still like to get them out after an unscheduled stop.

Posted (edited)

I cant give you any Magnum info, but there are a couple of owners on here.  Remember that these planes are Experimental, and you can modify them in any way you chose.  The Airdale had folding seats and you could lay down and sleep with your body thru the baggage compartment.  One photo showed a 55 gallon barrel loaded thru the turtledeck.  I put a large baggage door on my Kitfox copy, and I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that to the Magnum for rear seat small passengers.  Somehow, you would have to change the papers to make it a 4-place with belts in rear too, since all were built and listed as 2-place planes. 

Next Question:  What are you going to do when the children grow larger?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Next Question:  What are you going to do when the children grow larger?

Teach them to fly. ;-)  Seriously, one is a teenager and the other is close.  I just figured I'd take one at a time or they'd both be too busy hanging out with their friends.  If they are interested in flying, I can pick them up a Mk IV or Kitfox IV when they get their ticket.  Then they can try to keep up. :)  I only need to ferry them around until I feel more comfortable leaving them at home and they're almost there.