Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WANTED - AVID FIBERGLASS WING COVER

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am looking for an unused Avid 15" wide x 24' fiberglass cover kit for leading edge of wing.   Send me info here or send me a private message with cheap price.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

I am looking for an unused Avid 15" wide x 24' fiberglass cover kit for leading edge of wing.   Send me info here or send me a private message with cheap price.  EDMO

Since this ad only got to stay out in front for about an hour, I am renewing it so maybe someone who has the kit for sale will see it.  EDMO

I am looking for an unused Avid 15" wide x 24' fiberglass cover for leading edge of wing.   Send me info here or send me a private message with cheap price.  EDMO

Also, does anyone have the Avid instructions for applying the fiberglass to wing?  I cant find it in the manual.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hey Ed I know that you are not into the fiberglass anymore but it sure would be easy to layup a sheet on some plastic with some epoxy.  I think that you can attach it the same way that the aluminum is attached.  I would love to make you some but being retired I just don't seem to have any time, you know how that goes, right?

Posted (edited)

Thanks Paul,  I used to get things done quicker when I was working - Donno why there is no time left when retired?  Guess we work slower?  The aluminum wing cover is in one 12' piece, and the FG is in three 4' pieces - there must be a reinforcement procedure to splice them since 4' don't match the rib spacing so they don't joint over top of ribcaps.  The MkIV manual posted in Files and Forms only lists the aluminum skin.  

Regards,  Ed

Edited by EDMO

Posted

With the 1' spacing on the ribs on the Avid heavy hauler wing, 4' long pieces worked out just fine.  JImChuk

Posted

The aluminum on my wings  - which I replaced with .8mm birch plywood - was done in three pieces. And I used three pieces of plywood and had no trouble laying down the seams on a rib. After gluing the plywood to the rib, I used a small amount of Hysol and light sanding to feather-in the seams.

Posted

With the 1' spacing on the ribs on the Avid heavy hauler wing, 4' long pieces worked out just fine.  JImChuk

You are correct Jim - I was thinking Kitfox or early Avid, as usual... ???  EDMO

Posted (edited)

The aluminum on my wings  - which I replaced with .8mm birch plywood - was done in three pieces. And I used three pieces of plywood and had no trouble laying down the seams on a rib. After gluing the plywood to the rib, I used a small amount of Hysol and light sanding to feather-in the seams.

Thanks Rob,  I did the same with the leading edge plywood covering on my wings.  I made the joints with more 1mm plywood strips glued underneath with Gorilla glue, but used 9460 for the main glue.  I like the FG for my flaps because it don't deteriorate like plywood, and only needs painting on outside, if I can get it.  If I cant get another FG kit, I am just going to cover my ailerons with fabric so I don't add any more weight to an already heavy wing.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Might be a stupid question but what about the guy that bought the molds ? Any idea how far out he is from producing ? I still kick myself in the ass for not buying them . At the time I had the money but getting them was the big hassle in the end . 

Posted (edited)

Might be a stupid question but what about the guy that bought the molds ? Any idea how far out he is from producing ? I still kick myself in the ass for not buying them . At the time I had the money but getting them was the big hassle in the end . 

Someone may be able to contact him - I would have to search for his info, and my memory is too short to remember who he is.  I need the full 15" chord, but if you can use 12" chord, then MSC sells two different kinds of .031 thickness FG sheets that come in 12, 18?, 24, 36, 48" lengths.  Page 1877 & 1878 in my catalog.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Is he the same guy that got the rights or what not to avid or is it something different ? I think the guy that got the molds was in Minnesota or something but my memory is just as bad from to many head injuries . 

Someone may be able to contact him - I would have to search for his info, and my memory is too short to remember who he is.  I need the full 15" chord, but if you can use 12" chord, then MSC sells two different kinds of .031 thickness FG sheets that come in 12, 18?, 24, 36, 48" lengths.  Page 1877 & 1878 in my catalog.  EDMO

Posted (edited)

I think Paul's idea of making your own sheets of fiberglass makes a lot of sense if you want fiberglass sheets.  Get a flat table, tape some plastic down on it, and make the stuff as thick as you want.  You could even cover it with another piece of plastic, and lay a piece of plywood on top of that, even weight it down if you wanted to.  The guy with the molds is located in Two Harbors Mn.  If you search that, you will probably find his name and number.  JImChuk 

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Is he the same guy that got the rights or what not to avid or is it something different ? I think the guy that got the molds was in Minnesota or something but my memory is just as bad from to many head injuries . 

I thin they are two different guys, but could be wrong - again!  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I think Paul's idea of making your own sheets of fiberglass makes a lot of sense if you want fiberglass sheets.  Get a flat table, tape some plastic down on it, and make the stuff as thick as you want.  You could even cover it with another piece of plastic, and lay a piece of plywood on top of that, even weight it down if you wanted to.  If you wanted to get rid of as much resin as possible, get some uncertified light weight fabric. (Peal ply in ACS catalog) put that down before the top plastic with some 

I doubt that I could make FG sheets as good and light as the commercial ones - they are made under high compression - but I could make them, and even buy them a hell of a lot cheaper than Kitfox wants for their $1000 kit - That is ree-dick-u-more or less!   My problem is time - the clock keeps ticking until there is none left!   ???  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I think you're right and from what my foggy memory tells me they both were a few months out from supplying anything. $1000 for a couple fiberglass strips ? Are the not using respirators when they make it ? That just seems outrageous to me . 

Edited by chopndrag

Posted (edited)

I think Paul's idea of making your own sheets of fiberglass makes a lot of sense if you want fiberglass sheets.  Get a flat table, tape some plastic down on it, and make the stuff as thick as you want.  You could even cover it with another piece of plastic, and lay a piece of plywood on top of that, even weight it down if you wanted to.  If you wanted to get rid of as much resin as possible, get some uncertified light weight fabric. (Peal ply in ACS catalog) put that down before the top plastic with some 

I doubt that I could make FG sheets as good and light as the commercial ones - they are made under high compression - but I could make them a hell of a lot cheaper than Kitfox wants for their $1000 kit - That is ree-dick-u-more or less!   EDMO

Oops somehow screwed my post up . 

Edited by chopndrag

Posted

Making flat pieces would actually be real easy.   You could even use peal ply and vacuum bagging to get as much resin out as possible so they would be as lite as possible.  Hardest part about fiberglass is making the molds.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Making flat pieces would actually be real easy.   You could even use peal ply and vacuum bagging to get as much resin out as possible so they would be as lite as possible.  Hardest part about fiberglass is making the molds.  JImChuk

How many layers of FG fabric do you think would make .032 thick?   Most of the Chrysler FG fixtures I made were heavy on resin because they would be abused - only some light aircraft stuff I made was vac-bagged in Av school.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Really don't know how many layers you would need,  I'm sure it would depend on what fiberglass cloth you were using as well.  All kinds of different types and weights of cloth.  If it was me, I would maybe just use fabric myself.  How many WW2 bombers had fabric on the control surfaces?  Course the lifetime of some of them was measured in minutes..... but not because of the fabric though.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Really don't know how many layers you would need,  I'm sure it would depend on what fiberglass cloth you were using as well.  All kinds of different types and weights of cloth.  If it was me, I would maybe just use fabric myself.  How many WW2 bombers had fabric on the control surfaces?  Course the lifetime of some of them was measured in minutes..... but not because of the fabric though.  JImChuk

I like the fiberglass on the flaps because they are right in the propwash airstream - ailerons are not, and on a slow bird, so fabric is OK.  I had the chance to get the FG and very glad to get it - otherwise I probably would have covered flap bottoms with plywood plus fabric.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Isn't this what Birddog is selling in this same subforum? Did it already sell or something?

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/5312-wing-fiberglass/

Edited by Av8r_Sed

Posted

He said it sold soon after he made the post.

Posted

Isn't this what Birddog is selling in this same subforum? Did it already sell or something?

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/5312-wing-fiberglass/

Yes,  I bought it - enough for flaps, but thought about getting another kit for ailerons if someone had one.  EDMO