Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

IRMA COMING !!!

60 posts in this topic

Posted

Looks like Irma is going to make a direct hit on about all of Florida and maybe some other adjoining states.  I doubt if any of you will want to bring your planes as far as St. Louis, but if there is any way I can help you please let me know.  Prayers are with everyone in harms way.   EDMO

Posted

I'm hoping my hanger stays together . It shouldn't flood I've been at the same one for over 10 years and never had a problem. Hopefully everyone calms down in my area and starts acting civilized. There's a bunch of people who aren't ready for storms and are pretty much making all the shelves bare with any food or water. I'm sticking to the old fashioned water from the faucet to fill everything I can up and making sure there's plenty of food we can cook on the grill . My house is up on a hill so I doubt we'll see any flooding in it . They already cancelled school for the rest of the week and who knows when all the stores will shut the doors. I just hope it stays far enough away from me so I don't have to worry to much , my wife is already starting to get a little worried . In her defense she was born a yankee so she's not used to hurricanes. I've learned through the years on what to do and what not to do in these situations so all I can do is wait and see what happens closer to the end of the week . We were thinking of going to my brothers house in South Carolina but the storm might go up the east coast so that's where the waiting game plays in . We need Joey with that big old work plane to come by and scoop us up haha. Thanks for the option Ed . Just hoping I grabbed enough emergency cash and I already have plenty of ammo in case people try to loot places like in the past . 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I've never been in a hurricane - Just too close to 6 tornadoes, with 2 directly overhead.  My folks were in the floods of 1927 and '37 and I was in the floods of '47 and '57 in Missouri Bootheel.  I think I made up my mind at age 6 in 1947 to move North to a high hill when I got old enough and never worry about another flood - and that is what I did - never learned to swim!  Good Luck,  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Luckily we all can swim and even have kayaks . Hell my oldest daughter is a mermaid haha . She's had the full mermaid swimming deal for the past 3 years or so . 

Posted

Where we live the biggest threat is flooding from the rain, and tornadoes spawned from the storm.  So far the rain forecasts for our area aren't awful, as long as the storm keeps moving and doesn't stall like Harvey did.  The more it shifts east, the happier I am!

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm with you on this one . Hopefully it doesn't come up the west coast . So far theres no gas anywhere . I'm thinking of heading to the airport to get avgas if all else fails . 

Posted

Luckily we all can swim and even have kayaks . Hell my oldest daughter is a mermaid haha . She's had the full mermaid swimming deal for the past 3 years or so . 

All 4 of my daughters can swim like fish - started them in swim classes when they were barely walking - I was always told, "You cant go near the water until you learn how to swim" - Unfortunately, I didn't listen and drowned once - I lost some memory of that day, and after they got the water out of me I stayed on dry land.   EDMO

Posted

Welll damn can't imagine not having good old edmo around the forum it probably wouldn't be as fun . 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Welll damn can't imagine not having good old edmo around the forum it probably wouldn't be as fun . 

Well, it would be one less Nosedragger to pick on!  I think they are jealous because they can't lock the brakes on landings without nosing over, and I can still drag the tail!   ;<)  Of course, I cant keep my chainsaw engine running, so the 2-smoke drivers have one-up on me.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I got a 2 smoke with training wheels . Runs great except the stator issue. I'd rather be able to lay on the brakes then not see over my dash. I took my mom flying and just as our wheels touched a flock of sand crains decided to land next to the runway and start walking across. If I had a taildragger I probably would've been buying a new fwf . 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I got a 2 smoke with training wheels . Runs great except the stator issue. I'd rather be able to lay on the brakes then not see over my dash. I took my mom flying and just as our wheels touched a flock of sand crains decided to land next to the runway and start walking across. If I had a taildragger I probably would've been buying a new fwf . 

Guess you cant eat Sand Crains - Might make good cat food!  But sure not as bad as a noseover with Mom in the plane!  Not as bad as the pickup driver here who had a big turkey come all the way thru his windshield - Said it almost took his head off - (the driver - not the turkey)!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

We got a ton of inedible animals down here . I think it's funny when out of town people go fishing catch salt water cat fish and find out it's not edible like fresh water . Tons of nasty stuff on the food chain here .

Posted (edited)

We got a ton of inedible animals down here . I think it's funny when out of town people go fishing catch salt water cat fish and find out it's not edible like fresh water . Tons of nasty stuff on the food chain here .

Yes,  and people are on that edible list for some of your critters!   I have family there and they just couldn't believe that their brother and I would rather live in Alaska - They will never understand, and I will never live farther South again.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I might have to side with them on the Alaska thing. With all the broken bones , arthritis and the metal from all my surgeries the cold isn't for me . I went to my brothers house last winter and it hit in the low 20's . I felt like the tin man walking around in that weather. Visiting the snow is fun but I couldn't live anywhere that snowed all the time . 

Posted (edited)

Place to live is like marriage:  If the good outweighs the bad, you stay - If not, then move on!  I have moved on a lot.  ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Hopefully, all of the flyers from the South East States will check in after IRMA passes and let us know how you faired.   EDMO

Posted

I think Mark and Jim might be getting hit worse then anyone . If I remember right they are pretty much in the middle of the state. I'm hoping it keeps on that east coast track since I'm on the west coast . Who knows maybe I'll have manatees swimming in the streets afterwards. My bloodhound pup should be interesting during the storm it's his first hurricane. He just turned 2 so we'll see what happens.

20170704_182304.jpg

Posted (edited)

Where are each of you guys located compared to Sarasota or some place us flatlanders can find or know the location of?   How far inland are you?  This storm looks like it could flood both East and West Coasts!    EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Weeki wachee is where I am home of the mermaids . I'm a few miles from the gulf but my house is on a hill about 15ft up from the road . I believe Mark is in Lake city kind of dead center north of Orlando and Jim I believe is in Ocala west of Orlando somewhat. 

1 person likes this

Posted

No matter which of the projected paths it takes, we shouldn't get more than tropical storm winds (40-75mph), with some gusts that may go over 100mph.  Either it will be too far away (east coast / west coast track), or have traveled over too much land (center track).  My biggest concern is flooding, but now they are only saying 3-5" of rain, which isn't unusual for us here.  We got 8" in 5 hours back in January.  Power and internet will likely be down for some time though, so don't panic if you don't here from us quickly.  We have a whole house generator, and the 500 gallon propane tank is 70% full (they only fill it to 80%, and that was in January), so we'll have power.  We are on a well, so as long as the generator runs, we'll have water also.  Lake City is right at the intersection of I-75 and I-10, only about 65 miles south of Georgia.  We were listed as the 6th safest place in Florida for weather related issues, and if wasn't for the flood rating, we'd have been #1.  It is called Lake City for a reason :o

Lake City is where they typically stage all the power restoration/tree removal crews.  The fairgrounds started filling up with trucks yesterday, which made me feel better. As long as they think this is the best place to put them, it won't be too bad here.

I-75 North is not a fun place to be, solid traffic to I-10, and moving very slow.  I-75 South looks like a drag strip or a really long runway :-).   Any gas station with gas has a line.  Fortunately my truck is diesel, and most of the stations that are out of gas still have diesel.

Weather is absolutely gorgeous at the moment, which is typical before a major storm.  Spent yesterday getting most of the loose items in the yard put away or secured.  Still a few things to put away, that will get done tomorrow as I make a last sweep around the property.  Fortunately the framing for the new hangar is all complete and tightened up, and I haven't started on the siding yet.  The skeleton should ride out the projected winds without a problem.  And if any trees go down, I have a big honkin 4wd forklift to get them out of the way.

Mark

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Good to hear someone else besides me was prepared. I'm not a prepper by any means but having a family and living here practically my whole life I always have most things handy for storms. Hell we get just regular rain storms down here that make you think it was a hurricane. Good luck Mark sounds like we should be ok.

Edited by chopndrag

Posted (edited)

Looks like Irma is going to be coming right where I'm at . Luckily I'm not in any evacuation or flood zones . Sunday night monday morning is when it's expected to be in my area. There's absolutely no gas anywhere so this morning when I went to my hanger to make sure everything was secure I filled a couple of 5 gallon gas cans with avgas just in case I need to get the family out.I'll be posting pictures of anything interesting going on . So far a old rotted tree next door fell . 

1504996031863-1721365139.jpg

Edited by chopndrag

Posted

Hang on tight, but try to wear the b*tch out a bit before you send her north, would you?  Pretty much the worst case path for both of us.  One advantage of a diesel truck, most of the stations have been out around here on and off, but they've always had diesel available.  Spent today picking up the stuff that would have been fine in a tropical storm, but Cat 1, or Cat 2 might be a problem.   Most of the neighbors are snowbirds, so walked around their properties too and secured some loose stuff they had in their yards also.

Posted (edited)

We're as ready as we can be . Hopefully it doesn't build back up and turns sooner . Sounds like South Florida is going to get the worst of it . My neighbor and I helped each other get our houses ready . My other neighbor is goooone. They bought all there supplies and ended up hauling a$$ somewhere instead of staying. I'm pretty sure they did the same thing a couple months ago for a storm we had. It leads me to believe they haven't lived in Florida long. Be safe and hopefully nothing bad happens.

Edited by chopndrag

Posted

Nothing else but IRMA on the TV channels we watch, so we are hoping for the best for all of you.   EDMO

1 person likes this