More Avid/jabiru videos

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Well I got my flying partner to fly along side me this evening and his brother shot a bit of video of the newly rebuilt Avid with a Jabiru up front.  Not much, but it means something to me, knowing how much work I put into it.  Was the first flight away from the home patch, only about 25 miles or so.   He had flown the Chief up the north shore of lake Superior for a family get to geather, and got weathered in on Monday when he was going to fly home.  I met him part way, and flew back with him.  Anyway, not much, but it was to me.  :-)  JImChuk

4 people like this

Posted

Who is faster when firewalled, you or the Aeronca ?

Posted

Not sure.  The Chief has an 85 HP with the O-200 crank and cylinders and clipped wings.  It will do 105 without any problem.  Before the Avid got wrecked, it would do 100 flat out.  Right now, it seems the engine makes more power since I had it rebuilt after the crash.  A wood prop that would only turn up to 2700 static then now turns up to 2900.....  Haven't run the Avid flat and level full throttle yet, but maybe it would beat the Chief.  I know the Avid will legally carry more weight, and fuel, and burn less of it while flying as well.  JImChuk

Posted

Great stuff Jim! Glad to see it back in the air. Far too many never leave the ground again after even minor incidents. My barn find is one of those sad stories. Left to rot in a barn and get shat on by pigeons for a project that was easily fixable. By the time I got to her it was so far gone that it would be a major undertaking to make it fly again. 20 years ago it would have been an easy fix.

2 people like this

Posted

What size wheels do you have on there?  Normal gear?

Posted

"The Nanco N800 Slick is the perfect choice for personal water craft beach launching."

Excellent!