Cowling Camlocks and Static Ports

12 posts in this topic

Posted

My plane came with a few missing camlocks for the cowling. They look to be stainless and have a very small number 3 on the head. They are Phillips head. I looked at Aircraft Spruce but cant find exactly what a think I need. The 2600 and 2700 series look close but are not offered in Phillips head and stainless in number 3's.

Also, I would like to add a static port. I've seen them added through the side of the cowling (pilots side through the side the fuse near your feet) or fuselage. Aircraft Spruce has one that looks like it would work and has a backing nut. Can someone give me a suggestion on the what, when and where's of installing a static port in an Avid Mark IV?

As always I appreciate your input.

Vance

Posted

Depending on the size I might have a camloc I can send with those led lights.

Posted

Static port on the side of the cowl will give you a false reading. You'd be better off with an open port behind the panel.  The proper location would be to put one on each side at the rear of the fuselage, further away from the prop wash. 

2 people like this

Posted

Av8r is right on. Finding a nice static port location is a pain in the neck, and would take a small test program with a lot of holes to find a good spot, and likely a pair of spots that cancel their errors in small sideslips.

Posted (edited)

Av8r is right on. Finding a nice static port location is a pain in the neck, and would take a small test program with a lot of holes to find a good spot, and likely a pair of spots that cancel their errors in small sideslips.

I may get shot down for this comment - I have 2 static ports that get riveted or bolted on, but probably wont use them - I only have analog gauges, and none of my flying is critical enough that 5 mph difference with windows open will make any difference.  IFR flights would be more critical, but these birds are not usually built for that.  I guess some with Electronic Gizmos need more accuracy than I do.  I think that Kitfox published some info on installing 2 static ports on the mid-rear sides of the fuselage, but someone on this AFF site posted that he had 2 on his boot cowl near the bottom and they worked good.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Will the open behind the panel set up work with an encoder? 

Posted

It should my loehle was open in the back and I planned on doing the same for my avid.

Posted

Thank you for all the great input. I have never ran a static port but have seen them on several Kitfoxes. They all ran Dynons come to think of it. 

Vance

Posted (edited)

Here's the KF Skystar static port instructions.

Static-system.pdf

Edited by dholly
1 person likes this

Posted

Will the open behind the panel set up work with an encoder? 

Your encoder will match the altimeter (which is what you want).

Posted

Here's the KF Skystar static port instructions.

Static-system.pdf

I dont know how I missed this post but I did. Thank you dholly. Much appreciated.