Mark IV brakes

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I'll post pictures tommorow but im not real impressed with how the spacer/hub/bearing/seal set up is on these planes. The hub seals are attached to the bearings and a large washer rides on the inner seal all the time. With no stepped axel there is no way to properly load the bearings without putting excess pressure on the inner seal / spacer. It would have been easy to make the inner spacer large enough to be used as a sealing area for a standard seal. Things that make you go hmmmm. A fix may be in order if I can find seal that will fit inside the hub and still give me room. I would have never designed anything this way....or maybe mine is just installed wrong. Pictures to follow.

Posted

Spacer. Here's how my Avid+ is set up.

CIMG5611a.JPG

CIMG5612.JPG

CIMG5613.JPG

CIMG5616.JPG

CIMG5654.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

I guess that kills my rant....lol. The written directions still do not explain the torquing procedure for these seal intigrated type bearings. They really cover the difference between standard Timken bearings and the seal type. If there another page of explanation?

Thank you for posting this. Much appreciated 

Vance

Posted

I found it on their website. Here is the rest of the directions. 

2017-09-09 15.45.09.png

1 person likes this

Posted

Yep, sorry, you found it.

Posted

I bled the brakes last night and noticed one of the little Allen headed bleed screw on top of the master cylinders won't tighten up. It seems to be stripped but will back out and thread back in. I checked another pair I have and they are the same. One won't bottom out and the other will. I taxied the Avid around the yard and one brake worked better than the other. These sat for years without fluid. I assume they need new orings. 

Posted

Mine sat for years and needed the rebuild, including replacing the Buna-N plug, part 17, on the exploded view. Takes a little patience to glue them on and sand them flat.

For what it's worth, those socket cap hex bleeder screws don't really have to be tight. The top of the resevoir is at atmospheric pressure. The bleeders just stop the brake fluid from splashing out. I usually get a little leakage around the shaft for a bit after I do the bleed. 

Posted

Thank you. I'm going to pull them out this winter and rebuild them both. They seem to be holding pressure but one has noticeably less pressure than the other. 

Posted

When you are rebuilding your cylinders  try to locate some boots to keep the sand etc falling off your shoes out of the workings,they will last longer.

1 person likes this