Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Whoozit? Orange Kitfox on trailer - 9/8/17 driving I90W

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

OK so yesterday I was driving from Cleveland east on I90 and at about 4pm I looked over and saw an orange Kitfox being trailered the other direction. I know the time because I was on the phone with Russ, an Avid Mk-IV builder who used to frequent the site, and looked on my phone. I actually stammered out to him when it went by, lol. Anywhow, somewhere near the PA / NY border if I recall. Anyone here acquire a new plane or project by chance?

Edited by dholly

Posted

Since were asking about stuff like this, the other day I went to the New Lisbon and Mauston Wisconsin Airport fly in  over Labor day weekend and saw a teal blue and pink Kitfox 4 1050 sitting on a trailer but never did find the owner, Was wondering what he had for an engine in that thing, From what I could see it looked like an HKS type? Anybody know who's it is?

https://www.airnav.com/airport/82C

Posted

There are a couple of kitfox owners around where I'm at that I don't think are on here . One guy has a newly finished kitfox 4 with a lycoming or continental in it and another in a trailer at a rundown ultralight airport . I'm trying to find out what's going on with the one sitting . 

Posted

Tail Numbers tell the Tale!  ;<)  Just got to remember to photo or write them down.  EDMO

Posted

I saw two Kitfox's at the Midland pancake breakfast yesterday, neither owner was a computer kinda guy. One was a model 4 with a radial engine, nice guy that sounded like he had been flying for a long time. I would guess he was in his late 70'sand was from Grass Lake. The second guy had a just completed model 3 with a 912US, still flying off his 40 hrs and  said he flew from his own strip about 8 miles north east of Midland, 40ish. I watched both guys depart and the Rotax out preformed the radial, at least in the takeoff phase. The radial sounded cool but looked very heavy. I noticed that his Battery was all the way back at the tail. Mike

Posted

The builder/owner of the KF4-1200 w/ radial engine and orange/black Dale Earnhardt color scheme (notice the backwards 'E' on the tail?) is Lynn Matteson. He's a tinkerer and has had a few different engines on the front of that plane. It was on display in the Rotec booth at OSH this year. Last year (or maybe it was 2yrs ago) he had the plane on Zenair Amphib floats w/ a Jab2200 FWF. Nice guy, must have a few thousand hours in that thing by now!

1 person likes this

Posted

The builder/owner of the KF4-1200 w/ radial engine and orange/black Dale Earnhardt color scheme (notice the backwards 'E' on the tail?) is Lynn Matteson. He's a tinkerer and has had a few different engines on the front of that plane. It was on display in the Rotec booth at OSH this year. Last year (or maybe it was 2yrs ago) he had the plane on Zenair Amphib floats w/ a Jab2200 FWF. Nice guy, must have a few thousand hours in that thing by now!

Yes I did notice the Dale Earnhardt theme. He was a very interesting fella to chat with. His story of the demise of his Jab was quite interesting! He has also given up on the floats as they would make the Fox to heavy. Thanks for posting his name I didn't catch it Saturday. Mike

Posted

Lynn used to be real active on the Kitfox and Jabiru sites.  Thought something had happened to him, cause he sort of disappeared from the sites.  Then he came back briefly when he was working on the anphib floats.  He made lots of changes to his Jabiru engine.  Clear to the point of making different intake manifolds, and electronic ignition.  Put lots of hours on that engine.  Quite the guy!  JImChuk