Posted

582 Drivers,

What do you think of these plugs? Does the mixture look right? Thanks

IMG_0832.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

Posted

Looks to be a little rich or to much oil . My 582 gets a little gummy after about 50 hrs but nothing like that. 

1 person likes this

Posted

What kind of plugs are those?  Electrode looks quite small.

Posted

Good Eyes!  They're a fine point iridium NGK that NGK recommended for inverted engines. It's the same heat and other requirements but is designed to fire when submerged in fuel. Winter starts used to be almost impossible without them, now it's a non issue. When I get out to the plane I'll post the numbers. 

Posted (edited)

Actually surprised they are still firing. They look WAY rich. If that is on a cold inverted engine that has sat for a while the residual oil from the crank case can seep down and make a plug look like that. For a better idea of what is happening you can do a plug chop (look it up) or just pull the plugs shortly after shutting down will give you a better idea than a cold engine that has been sitting. I would probably replace the plugs to do a better check or at least clean them with a sand blaster down to white electrode. Some say not to use a sand blasting plug cleaner but as long as you make REALLY sure all the sand is cleaned out from down inside the plug I have not had any problems. If those are cold plugs I think that in there present state they are too far gone to give you an accurate plug reading to be honest. My 2cents though

Edited by tx_swordguy
1 person likes this