Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

data plate

11 posts in this topic

Posted

If the owner of a plane I am looking at buying cant find the data plate how bad is that?

Posted

In the circumstances described in your other thread ie., buying a partially completed and previously unregistered project, it shouldn't make one wit of difference. You will complete the plane as builder and affix your own data plate when complete.
Well, you will have to cough up $10 for a new blank data plate to engrave but that's it. :BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

That is what I wanted to hear. looking at it tomorrow

Posted

Looked at the avid today. Powder coated frame o time engine build manuals looks a like all the parts. The ribs were spaced 12in on center, but the fuse cross tubes were open.

O paper work, the only thing he had was a paper from avid to the previse owner who has passed.The plane is on;y to the rolling chassis stage.Do I need to contact a darr to see if this is a big problem? Thanks for the help.

Posted

It's never been in the air and no paperwork means you can make your own up. If you contact a darr that's bringing in more paperwork then needed. 

Posted

Done this a couple times

Done this a couple times

Here's what you do , write a  letter to the old avid factory address , certified that you have lost the paperwork  since you bought it, registered mail return receipt. Now when  this comes back nondeliverable, do not open it! In a new envelope send a duplicate letter of the one you sent avid   And the undelivered Obel letter to avid, To the FAA ,  if any problem call me at 252-923-5145, snaps

Posted (edited)

Like I said on the other site, the DAR is the guy who will issue the airworthness certificate.  He knows what he will sign off on and how to get it. If you intend to fly this aircraft legally once it's completed, you WILL need the services of a DAR.  When do you intend to bring him into the mix? After you made a big mistake or before, when he can warn you to not go that route?   No matter what though, the aircraft can get registered as having been built from parts if the paper trail is not complete back through the previous owners.   I just went and looked for the posts TJay had of his Kitfox 1 registration, there was not a complete paper trail on that plane either.  No paper in fact.  Maybe he will chime in here.  On the other topic in this thread, a data plate is just a piece of metal affixed to the rear of the fuselage.  On my MK IV the builder actually used a blank piece of aluminum and added the wording.  And that plane has been inspected by the FAA (actual FAA official) at least twice.  You can buy a ready made one from any of the aircraft parts catalogs though like this.  http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/nameplate.php?clickkey=5284   JImChuk

PS  Just thinking more about this, and wondered if any of the previous owners started the registration process?  Was an N # ever issued for the plane?  

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted (edited)

If you are not an EAA member, I suggest you join.  They have a Builder's Package to help you with the paperwork to get your plane registered, and that used to cost about $12 and includes data plate which the FAA says has to be steel, and you can get lots of info from them, including FAA info papers.  They have phone numbers where you can talk to someone and get questions answered, or they will answer your questions on the internet.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

You guys are awesome. The plane comes with paper work to file with the faa, that would lead me to believe they did not. Calling U-Haul this morning.

Posted

My loehle came without paperwork. I just did the paperwork as built from parts. The faa had no problem registering it as experimental. 

Posted

roger that