YAMAHA RX-1 (140 HP) install in Kitfox 5

109 posts in this topic

Posted

I know this probably won't be a popular comment but there looks to be more than enough room to add a nosegear weldment to the Yammy mount. Given the popularity of the KF6-7 'convertibles', it might be something to consider for future sale benefit. Kinda like adding float brackets to your fuse even though you don't have current plans to fly off water. Your own mission might even change down the road, who knows? :dunno:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Ready to hook up hoses and fill fluids!  More pics tomorrow, but here is the oil hose and clamps I chose.  This hose size fit perfectly for the 3 main runs and is far more Heavy Duty than the hose used on the snowmobile.  

The otieker clamps are said to be far superior in positive clamping and not loosing tension through heat cycles.  The kit below includes sizes that will also fit my 5/16 fuel hose.

FB_IMG_1540172887472.jpg

FB_IMG_1540172896817.jpg

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted (edited)

FUEL SYSTEM:

Hooking up my fuel feed today.

I went with a Facet 40288 (2 - 4.5 psi) with a built in check valve that allows free flow through it but no backflow.  

Past the Facet pump I put one of the Yamaha vacuum pulse pumps in a parallel loop as a backup in case the elect pump fails.  (Note that the pulse pump does not allow flow through it in either direction, so it needs a bypass line around it in case it fails).  

In the pic below I forgot to label a check valve I'll be putting in the bypass line between the facet and the fuel pressure guage fitting.  It will go in the location of the green circle in the pic below.  Without it, when the pulse pump is running standalone it would "feed itself" in a loop (instead of the carbs) and will not draw from the tank.

Of course all this will be firesleeved / heat shielded as well due to proximity to exhaust.

I will test to confirm how this all works and update this post.

2018-10-31 19.09.55.jpg

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

Pretty boring video here!   

It's a systems lookover prior to ground testing:

3 people like this

Posted

Wow, coming along nicely can't wait for the test runs. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Lookin good....Y-Fox.

Now I feel way behind. Really like all of your electrical ideas. Will probably hit you up on that...since I am an electrical idiot.

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks great, a lot of good ideas that you are adding to your build ,looks like you will be testing it on some skis very soon:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

After all these boring "technical" posts, here's a practical one!

10 people like this

Posted

Way to go...... The sweet sound of  success. Nice job. I am sooo  jealous right now...

Posted

Here is a video of me testing ignition sources and fuel delivery:

https://youtu.be/wLrP70CLfi8

And below are tools that make life a zillion times better when doing carb work.  The long hex wrench reaches way in to get to the inner airbox screws and the upgraded carb float bowl screws, the jets are available in many sizes and come in pairs... so only order 2:

FB_IMG_1542381752883.jpg

FB_IMG_1542381792314.jpg

FB_IMG_1542381763555.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Could you tell me how you figured the thrust angle for the Yamaha RX-1 engine in your kitfox.

Edited by ebostrom

Posted (edited)

I just talked to a few people and came up with a couple degrees left and "zero" up/down.  Nothing really scientific, might shim the mount a bit if I find I want something different. 

The skytrax apex (with it's 3 gear gearbox) turns a right hand prop as opposed to my left hand RX-1 so it could possibly benefit from a couple degrees right.  The angle is to counter the P factor.

UPDATE AFTER FLYING:

The plane is flying really well and I'm happy with the angle I put in.  If anything I do notice that I find I need a little left rudder trim now in cruise and there is a bit of "power up - nose up".  So I don't know if a little down angle would have reduced that tendency or not?

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

Thanks for the info. My engine should be here on Thursday and will be starting on building a test stand. After the test stand I will be making a engine mount. Can't wait to get started. Thanks for all of the info you have shared with all of us. Eric 

1 person likes this

Posted

you guys are really making me think about putting one of these on my coyote.  They were originally designed for a 100 hp honda engine conversion.  putting 140 - 150 in the nose on the cheap sounds better to me than going with the 0290 that was originally put in the coyote I have.  I have to build an engine mount for it either way I go so the availability of parts etc is now making me lean towards the yamadog.  Now to start saving pennies for the gear box!

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

you guys are really making me think about putting one of these on my coyote. 

Amen to that one

I'm strongly considering one for my next project too.

3 people like this

Posted

you guys are really making me think about putting one of these on my coyote. 

Amen to that one

I'm strongly considering one for my next project too.

Me too! Next year.

3 people like this

Posted

Wow.

2 people like this

Posted

Do you know of anyone who is flying a kitfox model 4 with a Apex engine. Thanks.Eric

Posted (edited)

Do you know of anyone who is flying a kitfox model 4 with a Apex engine. Thanks.Eric

A lot of Apexes are mid-conversion at this time but only a small number flying.  By years end that will change big time there are a few RX-1 powered KF4s out flying.

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

Thanks. Just don't know how it will fly with the extra weight and if it will hamper flying with two people weight wise. Just thinking I should get a 5 or 7 and get rid of my 4. Do you know of anybody getting rid of a 5-7 unfinished or even damaged would be fine. Thanks. Eric  

Posted

A Kitfox 5 just came up for sale on the Team Kitfox site.  It's a complete airplane with an O-235 in it.  New York state.  JImChuk

Posted

Thanks. Will look at it. Eric

Posted

Spring update on the project:

Couple videos of where I'm at and how much i love how this engine doesn't "drip a drop"!

6 people like this

Posted

Subscriber...thanks for taking the time to produce the vids. I would like that same setup one day.

Brooks

1 person likes this

Posted

What is the weight of the Yamahopper?

John M