YAMAHA RX-1 (140 HP) install in Kitfox 5

93 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

CRANKCASE BREATHER:

The crank breather is labeled in the bottom pic here and it  this is connected with a hose to an oil "trap" (top pic) and then typically routed into the airbox, but some people have reported just running it to a negative pressure location (non ram air location) with a filter at the end of the breather hose.

FB_IMG_1513959878069.jpg

2018-09-04 09.27.36.jpg

Edited by Yamma-Fox
1 person likes this

Posted

Y- Fox... you are the man. 

I would first like to thank you... for posting all the info on this project. Many little specific things...add up. You are helping GREATLY ( "I" don't have to look this stuff up)

Next...I would like to add....I am back. I took the summer off...Went on a couple of long motorcycle adventures...fished...played golf...All that retirement stuff.

Now...bought a new TIG welder.....decided to do EVERYTHING myself....Really enjoying the work. Have the motor mount

almost done and finished welded. Getting ready to start the exhaust. Working on a positioner...to improve the  tube welds.

One question...how tried is this R1 airbox?  I built a big ugly motor mount...to accommodate a big ugly airbox (why re-invent the wheel..I thought)

I looked at those  R1 airboxes early on...and would have gone with the 2002-2004 model which looked like a small version of  the (big and ugly)

Now...after seeing yours, I have ordered one..to check it out...How does the jetting compare to the big and ugly? I was trying to avoid massive re-jetting.

Posts to follow soon....John O

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the thanks!  I'm just glad if I can help other people out (half as much) as I have been helped along in this project!

That R1 box has only been used by one other AFAIK.  That is "Yooper Ed" here in the group, but he doesn't frequent the forum often.  According to him, it merely required a jetting change (he drilled out his main jets to about 180 size) and he says it runs great.   His info is why I chose the R1 box but if you have room you that snowmo airbox will work great as well.

But as far as the jetting / tune, no matter which airbox you choose,  you will have some fine tuning to do and really should run an AFR guage to get precise jetting for your particular setup since it seems each plane runs just a titch different due to ram air effects and exhaust system differences.  Just be  sure you dont run avgas on the AFR's O2 sensor!

Hey, start up a new post with your motor project!  I'm really looking forward to seeing it come together!!

Edited by Yamma-Fox
1 person likes this

Posted

Getting ready to put all my pieces together!

I finally got my big parts together, ending today with getting my mount back from the welder and powdercoat guys.

Below is a pic of the "big 4" custom components in a Yamaha conversion:  Motor Mount, Airbox, Header, and Throttle Reverser.

Anyone else following in my footsteps will have an easier job these days because we have a lot of people in the Yamaha community who have stepped up in offering help with these and other fabricated parts.  For more info, including contact info for FWF parts, join up in the "Yamaha Aircraft Conversions" Facebook group.

20181001_114608.jpg

20181001_115023.jpg

20181001_114956.jpg

20181001_114956.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

few that looks like a nice mount. Did you save the jig for making more?

1 person likes this

Posted

Proud of you!! :BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks guys!

I didn't use a jig, just built off the firewall with oversized tube (3/4") at the bolt up locations to allow for a little warpage and got lucky... things only moved about 1/4" so those small mounting bolts are just a little offset in the 3/4 tube.  I will custom grind some brass bushings to fill the "eccentric" gap (see photo of the off-center gap below).

I really wish I could scan this thing to a file in order to share it for anyone else with a KF 5-7, but I just don't have acess to something like that.

20181002_141149.jpg

Posted

I know this probably won't be a popular comment but there looks to be more than enough room to add a nosegear weldment to the Yammy mount. Given the popularity of the KF6-7 'convertibles', it might be something to consider for future sale benefit. Kinda like adding float brackets to your fuse even though you don't have current plans to fly off water. Your own mission might even change down the road, who knows? :dunno:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Ready to hook up hoses and fill fluids!  More pics tomorrow, but here is the oil hose and clamps I chose.  This hose size fit perfectly for the 3 main runs and is far more Heavy Duty than the hose used on the snowmobile.  

The otieker clamps are said to be far superior in positive clamping and not loosing tension through heat cycles.  The kit below includes sizes that will also fit my 5/16 fuel hose.

FB_IMG_1540172887472.jpg

FB_IMG_1540172896817.jpg

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted (edited)

FUEL SYSTEM:

Hooking up my fuel feed today.

I went with a Facet 40288 (2 - 4.5 psi) with a built in check valve that allows free flow through it but no backflow.  

Past the Facet pump I put one of the Yamaha vacuum pulse pumps in a parallel loop as a backup in case the elect pump fails.  (Note that the pulse pump does not allow flow through it in either direction, so it needs a bypass line around it in case it fails).  

In the pic below I forgot to label a check valve I'll be putting in the bypass line between the facet and the fuel pressure guage fitting.  It will go in the location of the green circle in the pic below.  Without it, when the pulse pump is running standalone it would "feed itself" in a loop (instead of the carbs) and will not draw from the tank.

Of course all this will be firesleeved / heat shielded as well due to proximity to exhaust.

I will test to confirm how this all works and update this post.

2018-10-31 19.09.55.jpg

Edited by Yamma-Fox

Posted

Pretty boring video here!   

It's a systems lookover prior to ground testing:

2 people like this

Posted

Wow, coming along nicely can't wait for the test runs. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Lookin good....Y-Fox.

Now I feel way behind. Really like all of your electrical ideas. Will probably hit you up on that...since I am an electrical idiot.

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks great, a lot of good ideas that you are adding to your build ,looks like you will be testing it on some skis very soon:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

After all these boring "technical" posts, here's a practical one!

9 people like this

Posted

Way to go...... The sweet sound of  success. Nice job. I am sooo  jealous right now...

Posted

Here is a video of me testing ignition sources and fuel delivery:

https://youtu.be/wLrP70CLfi8

And below are tools that make life a zillion times better when doing carb work.  The long hex wrench reaches way in to get to the inner airbox screws and the upgraded carb float bowl screws, the jets are available in many sizes and come in pairs... so only order 2:

FB_IMG_1542381752883.jpg

FB_IMG_1542381792314.jpg

FB_IMG_1542381763555.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

My hanger neighbor used all the wiring and everything that was stock with the motor. He put one in his own design gyrocopter. He's working out some non motor related kinks but is getting 90mph cruise conservatively. 

20170917_103138.jpg

That's Pete! We learned to fly gyro's @ the same time. Tell him Darren says hello next time you see him. I don't get out much these days.