Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Evening on the Yehntna

7 posts in this topic

Posted

About a month ago Jeff and I got out on a nice Sunday evening looking for some sand up the Yehntna river.  We had a great time pushing the last of the daylight.  I was flying jacks plane that night.  It is hard to get a selfie of a flying airplane (without a go pro) so no airborn pics of Jack's plane.

DSCN2448-1.jpg

DSCN2451-1.jpg

DSCN2454-1.jpg

DSCN2458-1.jpg

DSCN2459-1.jpg

DSCN2460-1.jpg

DSCN2464-1.jpg

DSCN2445-1.jpg

DSCN2447-1.jpg

DSCN2452-1.jpg

DSCN2465-1.jpg

DSCN2466-1.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

You Alaska guys never fail to amaze me! That is two seriously sharp looking birds! Thanks for the pics. Mike:-)

Posted

Nice pics Randy.  Still waiting for life to give me a break so I can get out and play!

:BC:

Posted

I really like Jack's A+ color scheme and large side windows. I hope he is getting some seat time in his plane!

Posted

I was watching tree house masters last night and they landed a plane in the Denali  National Park on a snow covered glacier. I sure do like the country side you boys fly in.

Posted

Thanks Doug, getting enough time to satisfy my needs. The windows sure do offer a large view  of the world around you and I think they add some uniqueness to the plane. I just installed VGs  on the wings and horizontal stab so the test pilot (Randy) is sorting out the changes. Stall speeds seem to have dropped by a few mph and it doesn't float forever on landing. A lot more predictable when trying to hit your spot. The water temp is still running a bit high, so that's the next project. Colds are running rampant in our house so things are getting interfered with.  Sure was a long winded thank you, eh?

Jack 

Posted

Yep, we are very blessed to live here; you couldn't find a better place to have an airplane.  The Avid/KF's are a perfect match for AK flying in my opinion; especially if you don't have $100K's in your pocket.  They don't do everything, but every plane is a compromise of some type and I fly with several folks who fly cubs and they are pretty amazed by what our planes will do.  I think these give you about the most bang and fun for your buck if you are into off airport flying!  I like to use mine for camping and hunting and my MKIV was pretty limited for cargo room but Leni has made some changes to his that give it a lot more cargo space.  The Avid+ solved that problem for me and it is pretty amazing what it will hold, plus I can sleep in it if need be.

Leni, let me know when you get a break, we need to get some fall flying in together or we will be looking a ski flying next (which isn't a bad thing but we need to do both).

Yep, Jack's bird is flying good, our only remaining issue seems to be the higher engine temps when OAT gets into the 70's  We are hoping that moving the radiator forward in front of the gear might help that so that will be our next trial.  Then need to get Jack's skis fitted and cables made!