Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bendix King KY 97A radio

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys, I got one other fuselage out of the garage today after painting it (a Chief)  and hauled the (Texas) Kitfox 4 fuselage up to start the rebuild on it.  Did the wings last summer, and now that the Avid MK IV is flying, I'll get back to the Kitfox.   It's got the Bendix King 97a radio in it, and it even worked when I checked it a few years ago.  I see they want an arm and a leg for a new one, (about $3000 at ACS)  I've always used handhelds, but am thinking about reinstalling this one.  Anyone have any experience with them?  Are they good?  How hard to hook up an intercom?  It's got a Narco AT 50A transponder as well, but I never fly where I need one so that will go on ebay unless it's out of date and no longer legal.  Anyway that's the story for tonight.  JImChuk

Photo1309.jpg

Photo1326.jpg

Photo1329.jpg

Posted

I had a 97A in my Arrow, used mostly as a backup but was a great little radio. I think the AT50A is pretty much obsolete but does have some value. Mike

Posted

Don't under estimate the value of a old transponder. I just made good money with one I sold that was out of date . 

Posted

Well I pulled most of the stuff out of the Kitfox today.  There is an ameriking AT 350 altitiude encoder in there as well.  They wont be going back into the rebuilt plane.  Sure came apart way faster than it will go back togeather.   And one other thing, if anyone knows of someone who wants to rebuild a Chief, I'm probably going to sell this one if I can get a fair price for it.  Got the headliner, fabric envelopes, and all the polyfiber chemicals with it.  65 HP Cont. with about 800 hrs since MOVH.    JImChuk

Photo1344.jpg