Matco W62 wheels on Avid 5/8" axles?

16 posts in this topic

Posted

I was wondering if anybody has Matco W62 wheels and brakes on the Avid 5/8" axles? If so do you know what bearings? Matco tech rep says that the W62 wheel will not work on 5/8" axle but I am pretty sure Ralph Moe's plane had the same wheels I am trying to use on mine. I am trying to upgrade to hydraulic brakes with parts I have collected and now seems to be a good time since my wheels were submerged during Harvey.

Thanks,

Dan

Posted

Don't think Avid ever used 5/8" axels.  All of them (from A model to MK IV)  I've been around were 3/4"  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

My early C model definitely has 5/8" axles. It looks like a factory made landing gear and I can't imagine anybody modifying it to a smaller size.

Edited by dav8or

Posted

Think I just figured out how it was done. Looks like Azusa sells a sealed tapered roller bearing with the correct 1.781" OD and 5/8" ID that should fit the W62 wheel and the 5/8" axle.    Dan

Posted

A little more research shows that Azusa sells the 3/4" tapered bearing with a sleeve adapter down to 5/8".   Dan

Posted

someone has messed with your gear then.  All the axles were 3/4" from the factory on every Avid I have seen from A to MK IV.

Posted

Well that kinda sucks then. They did make it look like a factory part and the gear is the same design as the other Avid I have seen up close. I just looked through the build manual and found the line item that says ream to .75" for axle. Of course I did not see any entries in the log books showing any modifications to the gear and cannot imagine why anyone would have done that. Now I am not sure what to do. This Avid has almost 400 hours on it. I have flown almost 200 of those hours. I would think that It would be a nightmare to attempt cutting the 5/8" ID tubing out and welding in 3/4" ID in its place. I would be afraid that the gear alignment would not be maintained in the process and it handles great right now.

Posted

If you really have 5/8" axels, I'm surprised you have any wheel alinement now.  I know Leni has bent 3/4" axels, and I have as well.  I even bent some 5/8" axels on my single seat Himax.   Maybe that says something about my landing tecknique...... and your's.   JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Dan,  If you have the solution to make everything work, and the plane has flown with 5/8" axles for 400 hours, why not stay with what you have - If you have no worry about the axles?  Why "fix" it  if it aint broke?   If you want to make your wheels ready for possible 3/4" axles in the future, then you could put some 3/4" sleeves over your 5/8 axles and use them that way too. 

All of the Kitfox axles I have had were 3/4", and I have a spare set on hand now, but there is no law saying you have to use that size.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

They really are 5/8" and right now sealed ball bearings in unknown manufacturer 6"x6" welded tubeless wheels with Azusa mechanical drum brakes. I have checked them several times in the past with calipers. My Avid is based on a turf field and I land at paved, grass strips and off-airport. In my upgrade to Matco hydraulic brakes I have to replace the current axles with Matco 5/8" axles that have the mount for the Matco caliper plates. Now I am nervous about using the new Matco axles.

Posted

I don't know about the 5/8" Matco axles but I can tell you the 3/4" axles they sell are all but impossible to bend, tough as hell.

Posted (edited)

I don't know about the 5/8" Matco axles but I can tell you the 3/4" axles they sell are all but impossible to bend, tough as hell.

Are the Avid axles made like the Kitfox axles, going into a tube and held with one crossbolt?  Should be simple to replace them.  Maybe soak them with penetrating oil for a while if they might be rusted inside the tubes.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Yes they are Ed.

Posted

Yes they are installed in a piece of tubing with the single bolt securing it. I expect them to be stuck in there pretty good after all these years but will manage to get them out somehow.

Posted

Went down to the airport and remeasured the axles. Not sure how I managed to measure incorrectly before but they are actually 3/4" axles. Felling much better about that now and my brake upgrade continues.

Dan

1 person likes this

Posted

makes more sense now.  Glad you got it figured out!

:BC: