High EGT's

33 posts in this topic

Posted

Let an Bing expert shoot me down here, but I've raised needles a little extra by adding an extra nylon washer under the needle clip (in a Mikuni).

I've put a thin washer under the needle snap ring when I wanted it richer, but not as much as one more notch would do.  Worked fine for me.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Update: one more degree of pitch helped but still saw 1150 to 1200 in straight an level flight at 6100. The temps seem to build the longer I stay in cruise.  Putting the plane in a slight climb brought the temps down to 1050. Climb temps still look good and I’m turning 6100 in climb. WOT straight and level produced just over 6700 rpm. 

What do you think guys. One more degree of pitch or needle adjustment?

Im close to being happy with the results. I just don’t like seeing the temps climb over 1200. 

Posted

I'd try one more degree before digging back into the carbs .

Posted

Well in all fairness it only takes 10 mins to change the jetting.  It’s actually the easier of the two jobs. 

Posted

I'd still add one more degree of pitch since 6700 wot is close to redline . 

Posted

I agree. I’m at 14 degrees on the GSC. 

So before the pitch adjustment I was running 1250 to 1300. After adding one degree of pitch it run 1150 to 1200. It will still climb over 1200 during cruise.  One more degree should put me right where I want to be. 

I’m still buying a new gauge. I’ve not had good luck with Westach. I’m going with the Micro 1000. 

Posted

I would also suggest running the plane tied off at say 5500 rpm for a couple of minutes, shut it down with the key without changing the throttle, and then have a look at the spark plugs.  They are more accurate at telling the egts than a gauge.  Reason for not backing off to idle is you want to see what the plugs look like in midrange, not at idle.  It does seem though that maybe 1 more degree of pitch will get you where you want to be.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

Needles aren’t doing much above 6000 rpm that’s your main jets at that point. 

2 people like this