Tach issues

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I found that my Westach Tach was 800 rpm off. This is the second Westach tachometer that I have had that was very inaccurate. I ordered and received a new UMA Tach. My plane has the Hot Box system in it. the old Westach was connected to two polls on the hot box that were marked Tach. The new gauge has three wires. Red, Black and Yellow. The red and black are power and ground. The yellow wire is the source feed wire which is to be connected the brown wire from the engine. I have no paperwork on the hot box but I'm guessing that I would just connect the yellow wire from the gauge to one of the polls on the hot box???

I'd like to hear from anyone who has ran into this issue.

Thanks

Vance

Posted

what engine do you have?  If you want an accurate reading get a tiny tach.  It also is an hour meter.

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

The engine is a GH 582. I have used and love the Tiny Tach. I wanted to replace the defunct gauge with another gauge to keep the panel clean. Chop sent me his Tiny tach knock off and I used it to set the prop. Joey indicated that these engines have a history of inconsistent reading from the tach lead. Guess I'll end up installing a Tiny Tach anyways. I like that they have a timer function on them now.

Edited by rvsimons
1 person likes this

Posted

There are a million digital techs on the market that you can panel mount.  A sweep needle in and aircraft is not needed or IMO wanted. 

1 person likes this

Posted

The new UMA tach and Tiny Tach were ran today and I'm happy to report they are accurate with each other. I got the Tiny Tach with the additional resettable timer. It will be nice to have another timer on board along with a back up tach.

_storage_3863-3538_DCIM_Camera_20171006_113921.jpg

_storage_3863-3538_DCIM_Camera_20171006_113926.jpg

_storage_3863-3538_DCIM_Camera_20171006_114240.jpg