Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to tell if it's a MKIV

40 posts in this topic

Posted

Randy-

I notice on your Avid+ that the position of the pin bushings in the carry through tubes is different than mine. Hardly any of the bushing on mine is above the carry through tube. Very different. The bushings on my Mk-IV looked the same as my Avid+. I wonder why yours are different regarding bushing height? Now I'm curious what your Mk-IV looks like? Or Jack's C model?

Doug,

The bushings on my carry-throughs are higher that yours, not as high as Randy's though. I don't have any pictures of my old C model to compare it's setup. Randy's appears to have a bit more angle of attack than we do. So much the better for takeoff, probably a bit higher tail in flight. Once again each appears to be unique.

Jack

Posted

Just for clarity, are you talking about the rotational orientation of the carry-through tube or bending the tube to make it "V" or "U" (exaggerated) shaped?

Both Jack and I had to bend the front carry through tube forward (U shape) to increase the spacing between the front and rear tubes. I tweeked the rotational alignment very little; imperceptible except to move it enough to let the jig pin bolts slide into the pin tubes.

Posted

Randy-

I notice on your Avid+ that the position of the pin bushings in the carry through tubes is different than mine. Hardly any of the bushing on mine is above the carry through tube. Very different. The bushings on my Mk-IV looked the same as my Avid+. I wonder why yours are different regarding bushing height? Now I'm curious what your Mk-IV looks like? Or Jack's C model?

Like Jack said, they seem to be somewhat different for each plane. I actually had to add to the top of the pins on mine asyou can see in the picture, there is a weld ring around them. When I installed the wings with the rear pin bolts and the strut bolts and swung them into positin on the front tubes, that is where they landed. I trimmed the bottom pin tube and added to the top of the pin tube. In the final fit, Jack and I set up the fuselage level and trimmed all the pin tubes to be exactly level on an imaginary plane so the wings would not be warped at the root.

I am not sure if mine came out higher at the front due to the Avid+ fuselage or because the pin holes in my wings were just set a little different in my Avid fuselage. Since I am doing everything I can to increase my angle of attack, I don't mind having them higher. Not sure what that 1/2" difference will change though; like jack said, it will cause it to cruise with the tail slightly higher, and maybe slightly slower because of that?

Randy

Posted

Both Jack and I had to bend the front carry through tube forward (U shape) to increase the spacing between the front and rear tubes. I tweeked the rotational alignment very little; imperceptible except to move it enough to let the jig pin bolts slide into the pin tubes.

So, in effect, the spar spacing on your wings was wider than the placement of the carry-through tubes on your new fuselage.

Interesting...

Posted

Leni if you can use the Kitfox 4 engine mount for your new motor build I still have it.It has the new style 582 side mounts but you may be able to make it work.You pay the freight up there and you can have it.I doubt I will ever use it. Randy

Hey Randy- do you still have that 582 mount by chance? I don't much care for all this 2-stroke shakin' shakin' shakin' shakin'going on and would love to swap out my old style bed mount to reduce vibration. I think(?) the firewall attach stations are the same for a model III / IV, so would just have to modify for my cowl I'm guessing. Thanks, Doug

Posted

I just bought An Avid Mark IV with Serial #1254D.  Is there a way to know what model it is???

Posted

Seriously?

• Avid Flyer = Kit Manufacturer
  • Mark IV = Model Designation
  • S/N 1254D = Within the serial number range for Mk IV Model production

Second post in this thread details Avid Flyer Mk IV characteristics if you wish to confirm, I guess you missed it.

Did you not know what plane you bought?

Posted

What are the things to look for? How do I tell if it's a MKIV vs others?

This should help...

Theoretically MkIV's came into effect at kit ser # 1000 BUT it was

more like 1100---have the details somewhere.

Anyway....some work for you ---tee hee heee.

Does it have the Taildragger gear legs with the step?

Does it have a 1/1/2" Tailspring necked down to take a MAULE Tailwheel?

Does it have Elevator with inset trim Tab?

Does it have Round Rudder?

Does it have Dorsal steel stringer---i.e Fin tube goes to the T'Deck

FIN NOT OFFSET

Does it have a baggage locker?

Does it have Gas strut fixings just behind left shoulder in fuse frame?

Does it have Triangular steel welded gussets in EACH corner of the

"quarterlight window" one gusset is Seat Belt Anchor point.

Does it have Fiberglass seat?

Does it have Spring Loaded Door latches?

Does it have Gusset from Top rear carry thru tube, L&R, outside the

fuse side frame, welded to the rear Spar Bolt attach bushing---a bit

like a shelf bracket.

Does it have two Strap like Plates welded on Rear Wing Carry thru tube

to inside of rear door post?

Are ends of Wing Carry thru tubes welded closed?

Does it have two plates for Fuel Tap behind Vernier Throttle mounting

plate?

Are there "glue plates" welded at rear of fuse where inspection plate

could be fitted for theelevator Push Pull Tube Clevis Fork end they

Go from Fuse to Fin Spar.

Are fuselage tubes at this point sort of splayed /opened out for

greater Bolt clearance?

There are a couple of other subtle points that can't be checked unless

tubes cut -- as Avid upgraded some Tube wall thicknesses to get Gross

up to 1150/1200lbs.

BUT These should keep you busy for a short while---

and Send everybody with a "MKIV" running to check!!! heee heee..

Have fun,

Regards,

Steve at Airdale...

Also...

Looking at our log book (Airdale's) it shows your SN 1388C as

a C Model STOL TD. The serial numbers before, back to about SN 1025 are listed

as MKIVs but with a D after the number (as your's has a C). The serial numbers

after yours are also listed as D's with the designation of MkIV etc. Hope this

doesn't muddy the water more.

Jerry at Airdale

Interesting comment by Jerry at Airdale, about # 1388C as the serial # on a C model plane.  I didn't realize they used other letters besides the D after the MK IV serial #.   Other good info about how to tell if it's a MK IV as well.  JImChuk

Posted

Jim, I noticed that way back when and I agree it is odd to have one (?) C model in the middle of the D model Mk-IV s/n run. But then, I think the E model Bandits were like that, i.e. if someone wanted one during the D model production, Avid was all too happy to sell something, anything, as they neared the end of their corporate life. Similar to the mix 'n match fuse/wings/lift struts etc. philosophy they always pursued. That's why it is sooo dangerous for 'Mk-IV' buyers to assume based on seller assertions or s/n alone, gotta check the list!

Posted

Okay I retract my C statement also 

Posted (edited)

Jim, I noticed that way back when and I agree it is odd to have one (?) C model in the middle of the D model Mk-IV s/n run. But then, I think the E model Bandits were like that, i.e. if someone wanted one during the D model production, Avid was all too happy to sell something, anything, as they neared the end of their corporate life. Similar to the mix 'n match fuse/wings/lift struts etc. philosophy they always pursued. That's why it is sooo dangerous for 'Mk-IV' buyers to assume based on seller assertions or s/n alone, gotta check the list!

Has the site gone nuts on this, showing 46,996 views?  really?  I SEE NOW, that this thread was started in 2010,  maybe so, and the number keeps going up.  WOW Leni, you really have amassed a following with a great site!  Thanks again, EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

I think we can all agree on two things:

1 - This site IS awesome.  Thank you Leni and all of the contributors.

2 - The Avid Flyer company became an unorganized disaster after Dean Wilson's departure.  IMO, one of the many reasons for it's demise.

1 person likes this

Posted

I wouldn't be surprised if a C model was cheaper than a MK IV, and some people wanted a lower priced kit and requested the C model.  The factory could have then said, sure we will sell a C model to you, and then built it to the C model specifications.  That would account for C models being built way after the MK IV came out.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

^ I think that is exactly right!

Buyers should also keep in mind that many of the improvements associated with a particular model did not necessarily occur with the model rollout. Light Aero, Avid Aircraft and [old] Airdale all operated more like a campaign of ongoing product development and improvements. I cited an example earlier where my 1150lb. MTOW Mk-IV s/n 1127D did not have the spar carry thru gussets mentioned in the list.

Posted

I took a few pictures of my MK IV that show changes that should not be on a C model or earlier.  If you look at Doug's pictures near the end of the first page, you can see some of these same gussets.  First is the door latch.  Then the extra gussets on the rear spar carry through.  JImChuk

Photo0119.jpg

Photo0121.jpg

Photo0122.jpg

Photo01231.jpg

Photo01241.jpg

Photo01251.jpg