Step 2, Build Magnum!!

201 posts in this topic

Posted

wow I love those jury strut attach brackets they are a 100 times better than what kitfox came up with.

Posted

wow I love those jury strut attach brackets they are a 100 times better than what kitfox came up with.

X2  EDMO

Posted

Today was right wing root ribs, basically a repeat of yesterday but went fast since I had the jigging already figured out from yesterday. My friend rick also came by to help as well.  Then I decided to install the trailing edge on the left wing. The kit did not supply enough material to do both wings, I had to order more. The inventory list even called out five 48" pieces of trailing edge? That only leaves 1 piece for the other wing? Oh well, just another bump in the Magnum road :)))

Photo Nov 15, 17 07 05.jpg

Photo Nov 15, 17 07 12.jpg

Photo Nov 15, 17 43 23.jpg

Photo Nov 15, 19 10 01.jpg

Posted (edited)

Surprises keep coming - That almost looks like a 3rd type of Magnum rear wingtip shape.  Probably safer for the eyeballs than the longer Finch pointed tips, and more efficient than the forward angled trailing edge tips, something like the Catalina.  Looks like my old Tri-Pacer in the back?  Original Paint still?  I've still got a nosegear mount for one.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Don't know anything about the older wing tips, just what cam with mine. Glad you think they will be efficient, maybe break the 110mph mark, wow! That's my hanger mates tri-pacer. Good old birds!! Not sure if it is original paint, but could be!

Posted (edited)

Don't know anything about the older wing tips, just what cam with mine. Glad you think they will be efficient, maybe break the 110mph mark, wow! That's my hanger mates tri-pacer. Good old birds!! Not sure if it is original paint, but could be!

It's not how fast or what you fly - Just how much you smile while flying!  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

This is the “Finch” tip...Ed is right about dangerous!  I Think the idea is that they deflect the wingtip vortices further off the wing...or maybe they just wanted Magnum pilots to wear eye patches like Pirates? :lmao:

Ron

581D3538-B684-4BAA-AA99-D21A26B9A4AA.thu9C5E9872-AFDD-4073-88B9-4B18AB3BA7C5.thu

1 person likes this

Posted

This is the “Finch” tip...Ed is right about dangerous!  I Think the idea is that they deflect the wingtip vortices further off the wing...or maybe they just wanted Magnum pilots to wear eye patches like Pirates? :lmao:

Ron

581D3538-B684-4BAA-AA99-D21A26B9A4AA.thu9C5E9872-AFDD-4073-88B9-4B18AB3BA7C5.thu

Thanks for the post Ron - I was beginning to think that some might be thinking that the meds were affecting my thinking (what am I saying?) about there being 3 types of Magnum tips - Glad to have them validated.   EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

Got back to some Magnum quality time . Today I installed the trailing edge on the right wing and also the wing tip light mounts.

138.jpg

139.jpg

140.jpg

Posted (edited)

I hope you checked the lights against the tip mounts?  Maybe have to add a base plate for mounting those big strobe lights?  Looks Good.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ed,  I actually fired those lights up tonight, they are blinding!!!  I will have to do some fiberglass work to make them fit a little better, but not a big deal.  Thanks for lights!!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Ed,  I actually fired those lights up tonight, they are blinding!!!  I will have to do some fiberglass work to make them fit a little better, but not a big deal.  Thanks for lights!!

I never print "Fake News" like CNN, NBC, MSNBC, but try to stay factual as FOX News!  Ha!  Glad you like them.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

Merry Christmas All,

Got back to the Magnum tonight. Worked on running wiring for tip lights. Ran the pitot tubing. Installed the pitot mounting bracket. Then worked on widening the wing tip light brackets  so they fit the lights I got from Ed. Measured the wings again to be sure they are square with the fuselage.  Next step is to pull the wings back off and put them in the rotisserie to finish fiber-glassing the tanks in and then fabric time!

141.jpg

142.jpg

143.jpg

144.jpg

Posted

Today I finished installing the wing tip lights, then finished riveting the flaperons.

145.jpg

150.jpg

Posted (edited)

Looking good Barry - There should be some envy of those bright lights.  Will love to see you finish the bird!  Great Postings.   ;<)  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks Ed,

It is amazing how much time it takes to modify anything, the lights were just about 1/2" wider than the mount, so it only cost me 6 hours to build it up to look right! Part of the fun :))

I will be very visible putting along at 100 mph!!!

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks great Barry!  Way to go getting right back to work after being gone for a while...You are making good headway!

Posted

I thought you promised me it was a 200 hour build? 

Posted

That was 200 hours trying to figure out the instruction manual!

Posted

My mistake!!! 

1 person likes this

Posted

Today we took the wings off to begin fabric soon. Put the fuselage back in the rotisserie to work on the new landing gear fitment. The gear is a real piece of artwork, so happy I upgraded! Finished epoxying  the flaperons. Thanks to Ron, I have a nice Magnum wing rotisserie to use!!

158.jpg

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Like the "precision" can levelers for the LG!  ;<)  Guess those are the standard fiberglass Boot Ribs - I have a couple of sets, but have never taken them out of the boxes to look at them.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Today I filled the gaps between the spars and fuel cell with body filler.  Then I wrapped the fuel cell with two layers of fiberglass as per the plans. One done, one more to go.

159.jpg

160.jpg

162.jpg

163.jpg

165.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Lookin’ Good Barry!  Keep pushing forward!  I got kind of bogged down during this filling, wrapping, sanding part...but your hard work will make it look great!

Posted

Thanks Ron, I think resin fumes are what keeps me going some days.............

1 person likes this