Step 2, Build Magnum!!

201 posts in this topic

Posted

Today, more sanding, more body filler, more sanding, more filler...........Also made and installed fuel tank vent lines bracket.

167.jpg

166.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Today, finished sanding the fuel tank. Then mounted fuel vent line fittings and prepped for pressure testing.

Photo Jan 09, 09 39 18.jpg

169.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Well, my fuel cell held fuel overnight with no leaks!  After trying to come up with a way to air test the fuel tanks, I asked Ron what he did and he just filled the tank with fuel and checked for leaks.  Keep it simple stupid method worked great! Now to install leading edge plywood and this one is ready for fabric.

170.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

You are going to get me in trouble on the forum...I did pressure test mine  :BC: I taped all of the vent lines and used a technically developed tape and paper towel  ball the size of the fuel cap with a tire stem in the center of the tape ball...very technical...go figure, the only leak was in the tape ball, but slow enough that I could spray soap and look for bubbles elsewhere.  Used very low pressure, about 3 psi.

But I think the static overnight fuel test is better!

Posted

I used balloons worked great

Posted

Today I installed the leading edge on the left wing. I used 5 mil plywood from ACS. It was made in Finland. Nice stuff, but pricey............

171.jpg

Posted

You are going to get me in trouble on the forum...I did pressure test mine  :BC: I taped all of the vent lines and used a technically developed tape and paper towel  ball the size of the fuel cap with a tire stem in the center of the tape ball...very technical...go figure, the only leak was in the tape ball, but slow enough that I could spray soap and look for bubbles elsewhere.  Used very low pressure, about 3 psi.

But I think the static overnight fuel test is better!

I didn't say which Ron did I ?? Sorry buddy........

1 person likes this

Posted

I also tried the balloon method, bud I didn't like the cracking and popping noises coming from the tank:huh:. I probably used a bit too much air pressure.  Anyway, about 16 hours full of fuel with out any leaks makes me feel good about it.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I also tried the balloon method, bud I didn't like the cracking and popping noises coming from the tank:huh:. I probably used a bit too much air pressure.  Anyway, about 16 hours full of fuel with out any leaks makes me feel good about it.

Thats better anyway. Liquid will go through a hole that air wont

Edited by TJay
2 people like this

Posted

This weekend I filled the rough surface of the fuel tank with light weight auto body filler, then I glued the plastic leading edge on.

173.jpg

175.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

gotta love making progress! 

She be looking good mr!

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Left wing finished! Ready for fabric. Now I will be doing the same process on the right wing, but making faster progress using some quicker processes that worked well on the other wing.

176.jpg

177.jpg

178.jpg

Edited by Barry Cole

Posted

Nice work!

1 person likes this

Posted

Today I finished sanding the right tank and installing the plywood leading edge.

Photo Jan 20, 16 57 03.jpg

Posted

Today I installed the plastic leading edge and drained the fuel tank. Thanks for the help Rick!!

182.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Right  wing is now ready for covering.  I have decided to prime both wings after talking to Poly Fiber. Low cost and quick to do.

Posted

Today I welded the aftermarket landing gear tabs to the fuselage and fitted the landing gear to the tabs. Set the camber and took a some measurements so Steve can finish fabricating the shock system.

Photo Jan 25, 12 10 42.jpg

Photo Jan 25, 14 26 56.jpg

Photo Jan 25, 14 27 03.jpg

190.jpg

192.jpg

Posted

Barry you are making great progress, maybe add some addition float fittings too while your at it. :BC:

Posted

Thanks!  I'll never do floats where I live, but you are right, now is the time to do it!!

Posted

Very desireable feature for resale, can be used for ski safety cable attach point too.

Posted

Doug,

do you have a pic of the float attach points?

I’d like to add them...

Ron

Posted

Well, got one wing ready to cover after priming it with Poly Fiber primer.  Also covered the rudder with my friend Dave's help who recently went to an EAA covering seminar.  Lots of fun seeing progress!

195.jpg

198.jpg

204.jpg

Posted

207.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Probably the only time you have used an iron :lmao:

1 person likes this

Posted

Isn't this why they made irons???? The MEK fumes are much better when heated too........

2 people like this