Step 2, Build Magnum!!

201 posts in this topic

Posted

On to the paint booth for the fuselage! No more fabric or tape to install! Whew..........

Photo Mar 09, 16 47 56.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Looking good Barry!

Leni,  I am never against experimenting - I don't have any info that says the flat plates help STOL better than other tips.   It certainly wouldn't help if it makes the wings shorter by 2 regular tip-lengths.  I have studied this subject a lot, and believe the most important thing for STOL is wing area, profile, and VGs.   The short-wing Pipers proved that squared Hoerner-style tips helped them get off the ground quicker than the round tips because it added wing area.  I would like to see some positive results comparing the flat plates with other tips on the same plane, same wings.  When someone asks my opinion, I give it.  That's all there is to this.  

Remember the Kitfox with the Big Radial engine?  Guess that was them Experimenting with sales back then - so what are they doing now with the STi?   I hear that it has a thicker rib for more lift which would give better STOL disregarding the tips.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ed,

I may agree with you on the KF tips.  The Avid tips that are actually turned up a bit at the trailing edge suck.  If you ever flew close formation with an avid you would know what I am talking about.  The vortices that come off these wings will damn near roll the trailing plane over if you are not ready for it.  The tips on an avid are really not like a full rib in area.  If you don't have evidence to support what they may do to help then why be so against it?  AS I have said many times before, when I was experimenting with tip designs on my RC models, the flat plate tips did the most good for slowing flight and lessening tip stall tendencies. 

Posted (edited)

Ed,

I may agree with you on the KF tips.  The Avid tips that are actually turned up a bit at the trailing edge suck.  If you ever flew close formation with an avid you would know what I am talking about.  The vortices that come off these wings will damn near roll the trailing plane over if you are not ready for it.  The tips on an avid are really not like a full rib in area.  If you don't have evidence to support what they may do to help then why be so against it?  AS I have said many times before, when I was experimenting with tip designs on my RC models, the flat plate tips did the most good for slowing flight and lessening tip stall tendencies. 

Leni,  I am all for tip experiments.  I hope that someone can give some actual measured comparisons of same plane, same pilot, same weight, same winds, and at least two different tips.  Sounds like the Avid (Finch?) tips that turn up at trailing edge do a better job of shedding the vortexes cleanly away from the wings, making them stronger, (what they are designed for), which should help the performance of that plane even though it affects the one behind it.  Maybe they are not the best for formation flying?  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ed & Leni,

Im going to move this conversation over to the  Avid General Hangar to get some more input and keep us from polluting Barry’s post any more than we already have...

Ron

1 person likes this

Posted

Ed & Leni,

Im going to move this conversation over to the  Avid General Hangar to get some more input and keep us from polluting Barry’s post any more than we already have...

Ron

I thought this conversation started with Barry's Magnum?  Anyway, I am done writing about this.  EDMO

Posted

Fitting up boot cowling, floor pan and windshield.

Photo Mar 14, 20 06 44.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Been gluing and fiberglassing boot cowling on. Windshield is drilled. Put first stripe on a wing today.

Photo Mar 19, 18 30 29.jpg

Photo Mar 19, 18 32 09.jpg

Posted

Fitted floor boards tonight, what a poor design.

Photo Mar 20, 21 45 29.jpg

Posted (edited)

now that looks nice I wish my fiberglass work looked that good. It took me hrs to get my cowl laid up and look some what decent. 

Edited by TJay

Posted

Thanks, it is a very labor intensive process for sure.

Posted

Today was engine and landing gear installation so I can fit the front cowling to the boot cowlings.

Photo Apr 02, 14 29 22.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Man you are moving a long with your project. Looking good.

Posted

Thanks Paul.

Posted

Got firewall installed today along with brake lines.

Photo Apr 09, 19 15 07.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Took the Magnum outside for some fresh air today, finally doing final assembly!!

Photo Apr 25, 11 50 22.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Almost ready for wings and rigging.

Photo May 06, 20 03 50.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Status update: Got the door latches, window latches, window hangers and windshield installed. Put down some matt black vinyl on the dash too to help with glare. Will be working on panel, flaps and turtle deck while I wait on my engine parts to get checked out. I just hit the 600 hour mark, so if anyone wonders how long it takes.. Still a ways to go...............???

Photo May 29, 15 08 34.jpg

Photo May 29, 15 08 37.jpg

Photo May 29, 17 03 58.jpg

Photo May 29, 19 01 48.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Skylight and turtle deck fitted. Flaperons mounted and linkage adjusted. On to engine and panel.........

Photo Jul 12, 15 56 01.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Engine overhauled and installed. Time to push to the finish line!  Lot to do yet wiring panel and finishing engine install.  But getting the first flight itch :))

Photo Sep 26, 16 13 56.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Been about one year since you started the build thread and you have made tremendous progress in that time. I suspect you will be flying a super nice airplane very shortly. Great job!

Posted

Thanks!

I hope to have it airborne soon. Lot of details to finish with panel and engine baffles etc as you well know. 

Blue skies

Posted

It looks beautiful!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

This is Saweet! I am 6ft 4 , and I think I could fit it that!

Edited by daboring

Posted

I am 6' 3 195. Very roomy, you would like it.