Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ANy locking trailwheel for use on pavement??

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I have seen videos and talked to lots of folks who fly ridge runners and sky raiders and they all say the same thing, stay off the pavement, it is a ground looping bitch.

Ive been flying mine off the gravel and it  is a handfull in even a slight breeze, problem is all the runways in eastern washington state are paved! Im looking to install a tail wheel lock to keep the tail wheel straight for take off and landing... I know Pitss, Ravens, and Steen Skybolts use some kind of locking tailwheel. I have read about a lot of ground loops that ripped the gear off kit foxes and Ridge runners, some convert to nose wheels, some just git rid of the plane....Im not ready to give up yet... I have been flying TW planes for 47 yrs, Beavers, 180s, 170s, 140s, PA-18, Pa-20s and on and on and I know landing on pavement can be a challenge but this Ridge Runner, the pilot weight and fuel weight are all behind the wheel axle center line making it more of a squirrel.

SO, have anyone made a locking tail wheel??????Thanks

IMG_0001.JPG

Posted

I've flown Sky Raiders and Ridge Runners and they are nice handling planes on the ground. 

I would suggest you have a different problem other than the (Matco?) tailwheel you have on the plane. I would suggest you check the alignment of your main wheels.  I'll bet they are either toed way in or out.  

There are many techniques for measuring this, which all work quite well.  Adjusting your gear for the proper toe is as simple as putting a long pipe over the axle and bending the gear to the angle required. 

The optimum situation for a tailwheel plane is ZERO toe.